Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

View Full Version : Rust on rotors after wash - How harmful?

9 Nines
07-01-2002, 06:35 PM
I just drive my car on weekends. With a car wash on Sunday. So after the wash, the car is parked for five day. After the car wash, I usually drive the car up and down the driveway, braking to remvoe the rust. It works but not as well as high speed braking.

Is traces of the rust harmful to the rotors?

Should I always brake at high speeds to compltely remove it before storing for week?

Jim Cash
07-01-2002, 09:55 PM
Never store it with wet brakes - you don't need to do high speed but drive further than the driveway - just get them warmed up to dry completely..

In fact try to let them cool a bit before garaging it so that you do not stop the car with hot pads in contact with the disks..

Also - after you wash the car (or after any short start up) you should get the engine warmed a bit so you do not put it away with unburned fuel in the engine and exhaust.
You will get a very rough start next time if you turn off a cold car after a brief start.

Cheers
Jim Cash

9 Nines
07-02-2002, 07:25 AM
I will drive it longer, just hate getting dust on it because I store it was car cover.

But on hot brakes, how will pads touch if I use gears to stop it?

Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index