Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

View Full Version : Meguiar's Cleaner Wax - worth getting it?

dantheman
07-16-2002, 08:40 PM
local shop is selling these bundled with Meguiars Soft Wash Gel for $15. Are these two products exceptional? Or just so-so? TIA

geekysteve
07-16-2002, 08:58 PM
If it's the product I'm thinking of, it's in a burgandy bottle...I'd say it's so-so. For $15, I'd go with Mothers cleaner wax or a combo of P21S Paint Cleansing Lotion ($9.95) and Armor All Carnauba Wax ($2.99).

<br>
-Steve

The Truth Shall Set You Free: <a href = "http://www.gurureports.org" target = "_blank">Guru Reports</a>

whether NE1 sells them down here
07-16-2002, 09:25 PM

stokdgs
07-17-2002, 03:31 AM
Ive tried about everything in the past 35 years or so. Meguiars will give you great shine in the Gold Class formula, so-so shine with the cleaner wax. The higher gloss Gold Class formula will not last very long and you will probably, depending on how much time your car spends outside, have to re-wax it about every 3 months or so if you want to keep it looking really sharp and protected from the elements.
What I have noticed most after all these years, is that most lower cost waxes, will actually dull the finish while a polish will give you more shine, but wont last as long. Some of the more expensive waxes or polishes require multiple coats, etc., and that can be time consuming and makes you wonder why they require so many coats in the first place. Whatever you do, if you will claybar the car first after washing it really well, it will greatly improve the shine because it removes alot of dirt embedded in the paint that most cleaners, etc., dont get out without a whole lot of rubbing which can be dangerous to clear coat water based paint. And as you probably know, a smooth surface reflects more light than a rough surface, and the claybar gives you a very smooth surface to start laying your wax or polish on.. Ive been using a product from Carbuf.com that seems to give me great shine about average life span, easy to put on and take off and only requires 2 coats. I measure the shine by doing all this in a white walled garage equipped with 8 4' 2-tube shoplights, with at least 3 lights over the vehicle. If I can read the end label of the shop light tube in the paint on the car, that is about as shiny and clear as one can get in my opinion. The lights are at least 6' above the car. Good luck with your search. DanF

Baden Smith
07-17-2002, 08:19 AM
and he said that they had reformulated their cleaner wax. The new stuff says "new and improved" on the burgundy bottle and is supposed to be fantastic (his comments, not mine as I've never tried it).

This weekend I will be posting the pictures and comments from last weekend where I polished and waxed my Z3 using the Porter Cable polisher using Meguiar's #3 glaze and #26 High Tech Wax. I had excellent results with #26.

Baden
'98 Z3 2.8L Arctic Silver

dantheman
07-17-2002, 04:01 PM

Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index