Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

View Full Version : 3M Imperial Hand Glaze

phlin
07-21-2002, 07:13 PM
What is your experience with this stuff? I have heard a lot of good things about it but my experience was kind of mixed. I used it after I polished my jet black 330ci and it seemed really hard to take off. I had applied it by hand with a terry cloth applicator and then shortly followed up with a terry cloth towel. But it seemed kind of stuck on, with a lot of residue still on the surface, even after some rather vigorous rubbing. I then decided to go over the surface with a random orbital polisher with a touch more glaze on a foam pad, and strangely, the residue came off when I wiped down the surface again. The results, however, did not significantly improve the finish, and it even seemed like color was slightly faded in parts (I did not press that hard on the polisher) rather than deepened. So, my question is, what is the best way to use this stuff?

vincemz3
07-21-2002, 08:29 PM
I have used 3M IHG on my roadster (arctic silver) and coupe (cosmos black) and found the results very impressive. IMG really add depth and shine to both finish.

Run you fingers on the paint finish of your car and if you notice any roughness (embedded particles), you must then clay the finish before applying IHG. Difficulties in removing IHG is often a result of poor paint preparation. After you clay your car, always use a fine polish such as 3M Finess-it II machine polish (by hand is fine) or, even better, 3M Perfect-it III rubbing compound (also by hand). Don't worry, these are extremely mild (especially the latter - a chemical polish that only attacks scratches). Claying almost always leaves fine scratches.

Finally, the surface must not be hot/warm when IHG is being applied. Use a microfibre cloth to detail the finish after buffing with dry, clean terry cloth towels. You will be surprised by how effective microfibre towels can lift the residues.

One more thing I must mention, recently, I have switched to 3M Perfect-it III Finishing Glaze in place of IHG. This product is significantly more difficult to remove than IHG but the depth and shine is much longer lasting (it lasts the whole summer while IMG may need to be applied every 2 months to maintain the level of depth and shine). It is definitely not oil based like the IHG.

Well, try the IMG again, it is worth it. My silver car only react well to IHG without loosing the blue tint (arctic silver is slightly bluish vs. titanium silver) as compared to using Meguire #7 or Zymol.

Good luck with your project.

Regards,

Vince
'99 M Coupe
'99 M Roadster
'95 ///Maxima

Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index