Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

View Full Version : How to keep the black plastic in good condition

Yopal
07-22-2002, 01:23 PM
Hi
I just get X5 and it is a good SAV
Have any good method to protect all the black plastic moding
and the tire always in deep black colour
I saw a lot of old X5's the tire and the plastic is trun to the
grey colour
Thank-you
Yopal

steve
07-22-2002, 03:11 PM
Hi,

The best things that I can recommend from my experience is the following:

1) Don't get wax/protectant on your trim if you can avoid it. Typically, this is what causes the dull-grey color that you've described.

2) For my money, the best tire protectant (and trim protectant for that matter) is Zaino's Z16. My wife, despite her best attempts, can not remove Z16 from the tires no matter how many times she runs the Tahoe through the car wash, nor no matter how many times she scrapes curbs, etc... :-)

The secret to Z16 is to clean the tire really well before hand. Make sure any traces of old dressings are gone and then apply 1-2 coats of Z16 with those awesome Eagle One Tire Swipe Applicators. It will not sling and it will stay black even after the wheel gets dirty or gets washed. Gloss will wear away over time, but it will continue to stay black.

For your trim, you might try the Z16 (works well on our Tahoe & 528i), or you might consider one of the Back-To-Black products.

Best wishes,
Steve

PS: Our forthcoming Wheel & Tire Care Test will put all of these products to the test. Testing is underway, so look for our report soon.

Yopal
07-22-2002, 03:41 PM
Thank-you

rgol
07-22-2002, 05:00 PM

steve
07-22-2002, 05:46 PM
Zaino = <a href = "http://www.zainobros.com" target = "_blank">here</a>

Back-to-Black products are available at most major autoparts stores as well as most major convenience stores (Wal-mart, Target, etc).

Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index