Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

View Full Version : New Paint! in need tips!

jake
07-23-2002, 01:26 AM
My 87 L6 is being sprayed tommorow. Black of course. Ant care tips for the first month or two... I got some Zymol field glaze at O-fest and i was hoping to stay exclusive with there company but any tips help...
Jake

geekysteve
07-23-2002, 03:58 AM
What type of paint? I assume it will be base/clear?

Let them buff it/finish it, then follow their instructions for wax times, etc. When it comes time to start waxing, use whichever product you prefer, but be sure to wash/dry/polish/wax in straight lines - no circular motions!

And, I hate to sound like a pimp, but you might want to check out our report for more info about which products would serve you best. I think you'll be surprised when you see the Zymol results... :-) (we also have lots of detailing tips/tricks/techniques)

Morgan
07-23-2002, 05:22 AM
Steve, I've read several suggestions to use straight motions (bumper to bumper) when washing, drying, polishing, applying and removing wax, using QD, etc. Apparently, although fine scratching is nearly impossible to avoid, the straight lines help improve light reflectivity to give the car a shinier look. Can you comment more on why straight motions are important?

Your message made me wonder about the use of a random orbital polisher. Obviously, it goes in circular motions. Does that undo religious adherence to straight manual motions on the paint surface? (I'm so used to hand-applying wax in tight circles...ugh, an old habit to break!)

geekysteve
07-23-2002, 10:59 AM
Thankfully, a quality random orbital buffer when used with a high-quality foam pad will not induce new swirls. The random and non circular pattern of the buffer prevents swirl marks (unlike a rotary buffer, which can leave swirl marks if you're not careful).

I used to only wax by hand (in circles), then I learned about the straight-line technique (around 1992), and finally I tried a Random Orbital buffer (around 1996) - I'll never go back to waxing/polishing by hand! ;-)

-Steve<br>
-Steve

The Truth Shall Set You Free: <a href = "http://www.gurureports.org" target = "_blank">Guru Reports</a>

Morgan
07-23-2002, 10:57 PM
Cool. So, I can confidently use the RO polisher to apply polish and wax. When I buff out the product with a towel, it's in straight lines (bumper to bumper) on the top surfaces. How about the sides? Same, bumper to bumper (horizontal) or top to bottom (vertical). Or does it matter?

geekysteve
07-23-2002, 11:40 PM
Correct. Sides depends on who you talk to. I usually do front-to-back, but some people swear by top-to-bottom buffing...try it each way, and see which you prefer; to be honest, I've never seen much difference and it's easier to buff with front-to-back motions.

<br>
-Steve

The Truth Shall Set You Free: <a href = "http://www.gurureports.org" target = "_blank">Guru Reports</a>

Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index