Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

View Full Version : Wax question

Dakar Doug
07-23-2002, 07:20 PM
I have an older car (not one of my BMW's but the grocery getter) and every time I wax it, some of the paint comes off on the applicator. Is this just oxidized paint or am I doing something wrong? It doesn't matter what type of wax I use and I don't really wax the vhicle as often as I should. Thanks.

Doug

Zuke
07-23-2002, 10:51 PM
Doug your not doing anything wrong, its not the wax. There are a few ways to tackle this problem depending on the severity of the oxidation. You need to clean the paint before you wax it. First I would wash the car with a car wash that strip wax. Probable wouldn't hurt to clay the car. Scroll down Baden Smith has done some excellent research regarding this issue. There is also some very good tips thrown in. The object is to remove the dead paint from your car. there are plenty of products on the market to clean the paint. Unless your experienced with a buffing wheel, I would see if your local detailer could buff out the car for you. To do it by hand is very labor intensive, but it can be done. I would first buy your self a good panit cleaner. It always good to have around anyway. Try the paint cleaner on an area that is worst spot on the car. The roof on the back corner (B pillar) is a good spot. This way you can see the results on various angle easier. This should also indicate the depth of the paint and how far you can go with something stronger if the paint cleaner is not giving you good results. Mothers, 3M Zymol (to name just a few) have a comprehensive paint care system that would help if you want to do it yourself. Good luck.

Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index