Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

View Full Version : Random Orbital buffer

g8r1
07-23-2002, 10:34 PM
I'm in the market for one. I've heard alot of good things about the Porter-Cable 7424. The best $$ I found it for was $119.00 with 6" pad and counterweight. I've also seen many in local stores for about $40. Are these any good? Any suggestions? Thanks!<br>Howard in Tampa
87 535isA - 163k

geekysteve
07-23-2002, 11:44 PM
Go with the Porter Cable if it fits in your budget. It will perform so much better than the larger "consumer" RO buffers. I had a Craftsman 9" RO Buffer for about 3 years, and once I tried a Porter Cable, I promptly threw away the Craftsman.
<br>
-Steve

The Truth Shall Set You Free: <a href = "http://www.gurureports.org" target = "_blank">Guru Reports</a>

Chris Morgan
07-24-2002, 06:21 AM
They make more than one.

g8r1
07-24-2002, 08:46 AM
This is the one I'm looking at that I've heard so much about.

<a href="http://www.porter-cable.com/cgi-bin/products.cgi?method=byid&prod_id=7424">Porter-Cable 7424</a><br>Howard in Tampa
87 535isA - 163k

g8r1
07-24-2002, 08:49 AM
Thanks Steve. I'm going to go with the Porter-Cable.<br>Howard in Tampa
87 535isA - 163k

Jordan
07-24-2002, 09:04 AM
Just got one from CoastalTools.com, for $125 including the 6" velcro backing plate, counterbalance weight, and shipping. This was the cheapest price I could find two weeks ago, and was $50 to $75 cheaper than most other sites. Unit was brand new in the original box. No affiliation, just a satisfied customer.

Jordan

geekysteve
07-24-2002, 11:17 AM
Jordan is correct - Coastal tool is the "king" of Porter Cable buffers. There are two models to consider:

7336 and 7424

I have 7424's, but according to Porter Cable's website, both come with a 6" counterweight. The only difference that there appears to be is that the 7424 comes with a foam pad (which is garbage, by the way, so please don't use it!!), whereas the 7336 comes without anything.

You'll need to get a 6" hook-and-loop (Velcro) backing plate from someone (Coastal Tool or Properautocare.com) if you plan on using foam pads from 3M, Lake Country Mfg., or Meguiar's.

<br>
-Steve

The Truth Shall Set You Free: <a href = "http://www.gurureports.org" target = "_blank">Guru Reports</a>

g8r1
07-24-2002, 12:48 PM
Does your Guru report cover all this? ie, what foam pads to buy, polishing pads and techniques, etc.<br>Howard in Tampa
87 535isA - 163k

Jordan
07-24-2002, 01:09 PM

Chris Morgan
07-24-2002, 01:22 PM
What is so great about the Porter Cable 7336/7424 if the pad seems to be the important thing? Does the random action of the Porter Cable become even more random than other random orbital polishers? Is it more lightweight?

I honestly am not trying to be condescending, I just want to know why everyone raves about the Porter Cable, when there are dozens of other random orbital polishers on the market.

geekysteve
07-24-2002, 03:57 PM
It's the one thing that surprises everyone. We have over 15 pages of tips/tricks/tools/techniques/etc. All with photos, etc.<br>
-Steve

geekysteve
07-24-2002, 04:03 PM
The Porter Cable's are high quality, variable speed, industrial quality machines. It's sort of like comparing a cheap-o $15 socket set to a Snap-On socket set - the quality of the Porter Cable is second to none.

When I said in an earlier post that I had a Craftsman 9" Random Orbital for about 3 years, I should have been more accurate - I went through 4 of them in 3 years. Comparatively, I still have (and use) my original Porter Cable from 1997.

Here's why I think the PC is the machine to get:

1) 6" size makes it perfect for negotiating tighter spaces
2) Excellent control characteristics
3) Accurate variable speed control
4) Powerful, long lasting motor
5) True random orbital motion leaves no swirls
6) Feels really solid without being too heavy
7) Can easily be configured for left/right handed users
8) Long power cord so extension cord connection isn't right on your shoulder blade
9) For $115 (coastal tool) you're getting quite a bargain
10) Versatility - it can apply wax or buff out swirls/scratches and even a newbie can use it with comfort and piece of mind.

No matter what type of buffer you buy, you'll have to buy pads for it, unless you buy the Craftsman/Waxmaster style buffers (which use terry bonnets). There's no comparison when it comes to terry bonnets vs. foam - Foam wins every time...

Hope this helps, would love to hear others thoughts/perspectives.
<br>
-Steve

bretftraz
07-24-2002, 06:29 PM
Lots of people sell the 7424 or its variants (7335, 7336, 7336SP). But only Coastal has a 7424 complete kit assembled for car detailers. For $119 its a great value.

As Steve said, shop elsewhere for foam pads as there is quite a selection available and you'll want several different pads for various types of work.

Of course, you can shop locally for the machine and all over the web for the accessories you'll need. Doubt if you'll save any money but you'll certainly waste time.

Baden
07-24-2002, 09:51 PM
and belive me this is a really minor thing but the rear part of the polisher that you hold (where the power cable attaches) seems to be just a bit big to hold comfortably. This is a cylindrical shape with about a 2.5" diameter and would be slightly more comfortable with a smaller "grip".

This in now way prevents me from highly recomending this product. I have several other Porter Cable power tools (circular saw and recipricating saw) and am extremely happy with the quality of all PC products. As Steve said, this polisher cannot be compared in quality to the "consumer" brand polishers, many of which do not have any speed control.

For those that are interested, I documented the use of my Porter Cable polisher further down on this page.

Baden
'98 Z3 2.8L Arctic Silver

g8r1
07-24-2002, 10:12 PM
<br>Howard in Tampa
87 535isA - 163k

Chris Morgan
07-25-2002, 06:38 AM
Detailed and full of supporting data. I imagine I will be the owner of a PC in the near future, now. =)

EvilM3
07-25-2002, 10:49 AM
Porter Cable's.

DiLLiGaF 535i
07-25-2002, 01:59 PM
I have no experience with the Porter Cable buffer's, BUT I do have experience with their palm sanders. I used to own a furniture refinishing shop and used Porter Cable sanders exclusivly after purchasing my first one. They were about double the price of all the Thakita, Milwaukee, DeWalt sanders out there but quality of the job they did and the smoothness of the operation of the sander made the price worth every penny. I would have paid extra for those reasons alone, but the fact that those sanders would last 3-4 times as long as the others in a production environment sold me on them.

I know this conversation is about buffers but I just thought I would add my $.02 about the quality of Porter Cable products.
<br>

DiLLiGaF 535i -- In KC

Allen
07-25-2002, 02:30 PM
Lowes hardware stores is selling the 7336 Porter Cable for $109.00 plus tax.

Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index