Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

View Full Version : Water Stains...

noahabel
07-29-2002, 01:43 PM
Just Zaino'd my car yesterday and it looks amazing. Did the full Dawn wash and Z18 clay bar and I think it made all the difference, even on a new car. But in the drying process, I neglected to dry my windows after washing with Z7, figuring I would windex them later. Well, windex did nothing on the water stains, they seem to be etched in the glass. How can I get these out without rewashing my newly polished car? What is the best window cleaner that's safe for both interior and exterior surfaces (i.e. non-ammonia based so as not to stain leather or ruin polish)? I know this will all be solved the next time I wash the car, but with a duster, regular Z6 applications and a car cover, I hope to keep my car washing to a minimum in the future. Thanks for your help.

steve
07-29-2002, 04:10 PM
I'd suggest the following:

1) Place car in a cool, shaded area. Make sure the glass is cool to the touch.

2) Spray 1/2 of the windshield Windex. Spray it fairly liberally.

3) Grab some #0000 or #00000 Steel Wool (you can get this at any home improvement store - Lowes, Home Depot, ACE, etc) and lightly polish the windshield. YOU WILL NOT SCRATCH THE WINDSHIELD if you use #0000 or #00000. I've been doing this for years on all sorts of vehicles from Aston Martin's to BMW's to Chevy's to Fords to Toyota's, etc.

4) Polish the windshield for a while - you'll actually be able to feel the waterspots "lifting" as you go.

5) Dry with a clean, fresh paper towel or, better yet, a microfiber towel (they don't lint if they're high quality).

6) Repeat the process for the other 1/2 of the windshield & the other windows. Work 1 window at a time.

Conversely, you could also try a glass polish like Zaino's Z12(? I think) or Griot's Glass Polish kit. However, the steel wool method works totally fine and is a lot cheaper.

We're doing a test on glass cleaners right now, so I can't tell you which is best, but we're testing the following:

Sprayawy
Stoner's Invisible Glass
Eagle One 20/20
Griot's Glass Cleaner
Windex
Plexxus
and a few others that I can't remember off the top of my head...

Hope this helps,
Steve

PS: When done, apply a little RainX. Any questions, let us know.

noahabel
07-30-2002, 03:28 PM
I will try that. I also tried the 50/50 vinegar and water mixture suggested on the E46 board, which worked well enough, but has left some streaks I can't resolve. Who knew window washing would be so difficult!

Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index