Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

View Full Version : which cleaner for uncoated aluminum wheels ?

Jack
07-29-2002, 04:15 PM
I have some mild stains which are whitish in color from some unknown liquid which got splashed on my wheels. Any suggestions ? TIA

sbarnard
07-29-2002, 10:57 PM
Jack, Try this. If you can remove the wheel from the car. Make sure the wheel is cool. Spray the wheel with a mist of water. Then mix a solution of dish soap and water. Try a ratio of one table of dish soap to a quart of water. mix it togather. Then with a sponge that is wraped with white cloth netting carefully scrub the stain. you could also use a nylon brush.(Tooth brush) or larger. Keep the wheel wet. When you think its out make sure you rinse real good. Back of the wheel too. This procedure has worked for me in the past and it also has not. You could also try WD-40 on a shop rag. Its hard to say really if you don't know what it is. Be careful and don't scrub to hard. good luck

forrestt
07-30-2002, 11:31 AM
If it's uncoated, you'll need an aluminum polish to remove the stain.

Some brands are: Mothers, Semichrome, Wenol, Eagle-1, Flitz and others.

A whitish chalk-like stain is usually the sign of an acidic cleaner sprayed on the wheel. Been to any drive-thru car washed lately? Hot wheels and acidic cleaners are a bad combo.

I'd suggest using terry cloth and your choice of an above polish. If you're really [Oops!], a microfiber is the way to go. When you start rubbing, the metal will turn black, Keep rubbing, then buff the excess off with a clean dry towel.

Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index