Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

View Full Version : will cheapo polisher hurt?

aukgizzard
07-30-2002, 10:43 PM
new to the world of polishing:

guy at car parts store sold me a waxmaster and some turtle wax compond... kinda cheapo... wondering if this stuff will work... or will cause more harm than good..

also... trying to get a few lightg clear coat scratches out...any recommendations?

Thanks

Baden
07-31-2002, 08:28 PM

steve
07-31-2002, 09:51 PM
Sorry - I didn't see this post until just now.

I've used the Waxmaster random orbital buffers before, and there's really nothing wrong with them. The few things that I didn't care for with them were:

1) They use terry bonnets, which can cause micro marring & they don't hold up too well. They also "load up" when applying and removing products, which means you need to change the bonnets frequently.

2) The cord dongle was a little too short for my tastes - the extension cord has to be located just a few inches from the buffer, which increases the odds of a mishap.

3) They aren't terribly effective. Yes, they'll apply a polish or buff off a polish, but they don't 'work' the products like a Porter Cable would. They're also single speed, so you're pretty much stuck with using it 'as-is'.

4) Surprisingly, they generate a lot of pad heat, which accelerates the agressiveness of the products you're using. Not always a desirable effect.

Regarding the Turtle Wax rubbing compound - DO NOT use this with any regularity. It's pretty agressive stuff. I'd suggest that if you really want to get rid of the scratches that you try a Porter Cable with a "yellow" foam pad & some Meguiar's Dual Action Cleaner Polish (or 3M Finesse It II), followed with some Meguiar's #9 v2.0 or 3M Swirl Mark Remover on a white foam pad.

Best of luck.

Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index