Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

View Full Version : Front bumper care

Morgan
08-01-2002, 02:15 AM
I'm about to order a "standard" 3M paint protectant film kit from Invinca cut for my 330i. It includes protection for the front hood area/lights only. Although Invinca has a kit for the bumper, X-Pel sells one for less that fits my trim (sport package, no license plate) for less.

Before I order the bumper kit, I'm interested in opinions on the necessity. These plastic bumpers tend to ward of chips pretty well compared to hard painted surfaces (at least my Supra's bumper and air dam appears to). Is X-Pel on a BMW 3 series bumper overkill or recommended?

If I forego the bumper film, how should one care for detailing painted plastic bumpers? Can they be cleaned, prepped, polished, and waxed like clear-coat finishes on metal body panels?

Thanks.

steve
08-01-2002, 07:27 AM
Your Supra sounds pretty lucky - my 528i's front air dam/lower bumper is all stone chipped, along with the top of the hood. Granted, they aren't major chips, but they bother me. :-)

If you're going through the trouble to do the hood and lights, I'd do the bumper too. I think you'll be happier in the long run.

In the event that you skip the film, you would care for them the same way that you would the rest of the paint - you hit it right on the head.

Good luck!

Morgan
08-03-2002, 03:20 AM
Steve, thanks, as always. This is definitely more work and more expense, but it's probably the best time to do it and I'll regret it later if I don't. Thanks for the nudge! :-)

I'm sure this is discussed in the literature that comes with the paint protective film kits, but can you can prep, polish, and protect them like a regular car finish?

Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index