Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

View Full Version : First detail ever, Is this right?

Leachb
08-01-2002, 09:38 AM
I've been reading a lot here and on other sites to try and figure exactly what I need to do to restore the paint on my black 1988 535i. It has a lot of light scracthes, some swirl marks, one or two heavy scrathes that I can live with and it seems to be really dirty, even after i wash it. This is what I've come up with, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Since this is my first time, I'll be doing all by hand. On top of that, I'm a little too nervous to use any real aggressive products. I plan to use all 3M or Meguiars.

1. Wash accordingly.
2. Clay using a 15:1 water to soap mixture.
3. Polish... This is where i need help. There is so much out there. Would you reccomend I go with Scratch X, Finesse It II or something like a paint cleanser. My car needs does have some respectable scrathes that I think an abrasice would fix. Are paint cleansers abrasive?
4. Should I do a 2 step polish?
5. Finally a protective coat of carnuba.

Any advice on the polishing part would be greatly appreciated. I'd like to do this on my own by hand if possible.

<br>Thanks,

Brian

88 535i
90 735i

Leachb
08-01-2002, 09:52 AM
<br>Thanks,

Brian

88 535i
90 735i

steve
08-01-2002, 10:01 AM
Are you doing this by hand or with a random orbital buffer?

The reason I ask is because the 3M products are noticably harder to use by hand than they are by buffer, and they produce results that aren't quite as good when compared to buffer results.

That said, Perfect It II Rubbing compound might be a little bit extreme. The general rule of thumb is: try to use the least agressive product that will complete the job properly.

Your 'system' looks great - my only suggestions would be:

3. Try one of these techniques:
a) 3M Finesse It-II followed by 3M Swirl Mark Remover
b) Meguiar's Dual Action Cleaner Polish followed by Meguiar's #9 v2.0 Swirl Mark Remover
c) 3M Perfect It-II followed by 3M Swirl Mark Remover

4. Try a glaze like:
a) P21S Paintwork Cleansing Lotion (this is my all-time favorite)
b) Meguiar's #7 Show Car Glaze
c) 3M Imperial Hand Glaze

5. Wax

Hope this helps a little.

-Steve

Leachb
08-01-2002, 10:17 AM
<br>Thanks,

Brian

88 535i
90 735i

Leachb
08-01-2002, 10:30 AM
<br>Thanks,

Brian

88 535i
90 735i

steve
08-01-2002, 10:32 AM

Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index