Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Gareth
08-02-2002, 04:23 AM
I have an e28 528i and am in the process of having to rebuild it due to an engine failure. I have decided that I will rebuild it with as many tricks as I can afford. One of the first things that came to mind was putting a blower on her. Has anyone done this?? If so what kind of power increase could I look forward to? I'm considering both turbo and supercharging...(If both are available). Your thoughts/suggestions would be very welcome. As well as any other tricks you may suggest or have done.

Thanks in advance.

Gareth

john
08-11-2002, 01:20 PM
It is a 528E or i? I assume it is an E unless it is a euro car. If it is an E forget the rebuild and find a 3.5 liter motor from a later car. The 528e was 121bhp and the 535i is 181bhp (i think) i wouldn't bother rebuilding and tricking out. You probably would only end up with less than 180bhp anyway (w/o a blower) Go find a 3.5 liter motor in good shape for $800 and take your rebuild money for the blower. You'll get a faster car with less money. Only difference is the motor won't have a fresh rebuild but that wouldn't bother me as long as it was a healthy motor.

John

NANDA
08-18-2002, 04:44 AM
I suppose the question is how much extra power you are looking for.
You should also consider using the hot wire air mass meter to replace the flapper AFM. This seems to restrict the airflow quite a bit. I beleive there are kits that can do this and still keep your existing AFM. If you go either way and the engine develops more HP, then the ECU will need to be recalibrated to supply the additional fuel required or use a higher fuel rail pressure. There will be a lot of guesswork involved with the second method..

Good luck

Brian Rocha 85 745i, 99 323i
08-20-2002, 04:07 PM
<a href="http://www.machschnell.com/schneller.html">http://www.machschnell.com/schneller.html</a>
They have superchargers for most older BMW's<br>Brian Rocha
99 323i black
and my beloved
black 85 745i

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index