Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

noahabel
08-05-2002, 05:03 PM
Does anyone here have sytems using any of these brands? I got a bid on a system for my 325Ci, including Dynaudio components in the doors, 10" ID Subs attached to a baffle under the rear shelf and a 4 channel Xtant amp putting 75 watts to the fronts and a bridged 300 watts to the subs. My audition with the Dynaidio speakers was impressive, but we all know in car dynamics are going to be different. I was quoted around $3K for the whole shebang, including Straightwires interconnect/speaker cables and significant sound damping on the doors, and full install. Is this system going to be worth it? I have a pretty discerning ear, just don't know if all this is worth that kind of money. I have read for years about the quality of these brands, but was pretty happy with my old MB Quarts, JLs and PPI amp in my old Honda. Basically, am I going to hear a $3000 system? I know this is a subjective question, but just looking for insight. Thanks a ton.

t00h0t
08-06-2002, 08:45 AM
Absolutely the most amazing sound quality out of a sub for that price. ID makes great subs. <br>
-Corey

noahabel
08-06-2002, 12:20 PM

dB
08-12-2002, 04:06 PM
installation is the critical component of car stereo installation. Great components can sound bad to excellent depending on the installation. Dynaudio components and Image Dynamics subs are some of the most musical made, and Xtant amps are a great choice for the newer BMWs with balanced outputs from the factory headunits. Going with a single set of components in the front and subs is really the way to go for sound quality, and it is telling (in a good way) if the stereo shop did not try to push rear fill speakers on you. Speaker placement of the components is really going to dictate the overall sound quality and imaging you get out of this system. If your listening interest fall strongly towards sound quality rather than SPL (don't get me wrong, this system will play damn loud inside the car), then a good installation of this equipment should make you very happy.

In my experience, $3K for a good installation of this magnitude is about right (I spent ~$4k for a single set of components, 4-channel amp, head unit, and a single 8" sub in a fully custom fiberglass enclosure in my Porsche 968 at a very good shop). Is it worth $3K? If you are a discerning listener, and you listen to music a lot in your car, then it is probably well worth it. But only you can really decide. You are not buying the most expensive equipment, but you are buying very good equipment that sounds better than a lot of the more expensive stuff. Would you be happy with cheaper equipment? If the installation is very good then quite possibly yes. But you would probably only save $500, and the chances that you won't be as happy with the system are higher.

Dom

noahabel
08-19-2002, 05:00 PM

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index