Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

View Full Version : Drying Towl to blame??

kimf70
08-06-2002, 03:10 AM
I have been experiencing streaking problems everytime I wash and dry my car. Car is a '02 C2 996 CAB and only 2months old.
After picking up from dealing, I have done the following;
1. p21 gentle wash followed by drying with P21 synthetic drying cloth
2. p21 cleaner
3. Blitz wax
4. Used microfiber to wax off...

Since then, I have been having problems with streaking....
I may have over applied the wax... or is it the synthetic P21 drying cloth responsible for streaking?? I have been thinking about converting back to complete cotton (100%) system rather than using synthetic... Oddly enough I have not had any problems with '02 ML 320 finish...
Any thoughts? What is the best drying cloth?? You opinion is greatly appreciated.

'02 996 Cab Blk/Blk
'02 ML 320 Silver/Blk

steve
08-06-2002, 08:27 AM
Some thoughts and suggestions:

- Black will always show streaking/hazing/marring/spiderwebbing/any-other-defect-you-can-think-of better than any other color. It is by far, the most unforgiving color there is. (but it also looks the coolest when detailed!) :-)

- What's your climate like right now? Higher humidity/heat can cause streaking in waxes/finishes.

- Is there any chance that some of the streaking was "waxed-in"? Perhaps there were some streaks prior to the Blitz application which got sealed-up by the Blitz?

- Can you buff out the streaks? Try taking some quick detailer and a microfiber or some distilled water and a microfiber and gently buff at the streaking - can you lessen it or hide it?

My personal favorite towels are the "Big Blue Towels" that you can get from properautocare.com. They are a microfiber, waffle weave towel that is scratch & lint free, and is very absorbant.

Let us know, and we'll go from there.

kimf70
08-06-2002, 12:52 PM
Thanks for the input steve.

The climate here (Los Angeles) is dry and most sunny in August.
I may have waxed in the streaks. I am planning to use P21 paint cleaner to remove the wax this weekend and to reapply the wax very lightly. I am going to try P21 Concourse Carnuaba wax this time.
I will apply thin coats.

Last time I waxed the car, I did notice a fair number of tree sap droppings and may not have buffed them out properly and now paying for it with streaks.

I will try the Big blue towel.

Thanks again,

Frank S. Kim
Los Angeles, CA
'02 996 Blk cab (streak city)
'02 ML320 silver/black (no streaks)

sbarnard
08-06-2002, 07:29 PM
Frank, It sounds like you did everything your supposed to do. The synthetic absorbent drying towel is actually one of the best things to use to dry your car after washing. Natural chamois will acctually pull the wax off. It sounds like you might have over waxed. Which you most likey already know.
I would suggest saving your time with the paint cleaner and use a car wash that will strip off the wax. P21 total wash is what i like the best. Another thing you could do, since you know that the car is waxed, Try Zymol clear auto bathe. Wash and dry as normal.

kimf70
08-07-2002, 12:16 AM
I am planning to use P21S total car wash to clean the car this weekend and then apply a new coat of P21 Concourse wax.
Do I need to use the polish or the paint cleaner again? "total car wash" should strip away all the wax?

Frank

sbarnard
08-07-2002, 10:40 AM
Frank, If you already polished you should be all set. The polish is just to smooth out any minute surface imperfections you have. You havn't added anything to the surface with polishing or wouldn't with a paint cleaner. Once the car is washed and rinsed throughly. Wax would be the next step. Also I wanted to mention to you that if you do overwax. You can let the car sit for about an hour. If your in a dry climate, perhaps less. then with a clean Micro towel rewipe the car. I have heard of some guys using a spray bottle with water, spray the car and wipe it with an absorbant cloth/towel. This might save you the time washing the whole car over.
Enjoy.

kimf70
08-07-2002, 12:29 PM

Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index