Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

View Full Version : 3in" speakers in door panel

peter
08-27-2002, 01:23 AM
Im looking to replace my stock speakers in the door panel of my 95 m3, any one have any suggestions that will fit the odd 3 in spot?

argento
09-06-2002, 11:16 PM
I have a 97 328is and I had this same problem while researching. I couldn't find a replacement. The lack of depth behind that 3" also didn't help. I looked at cutting it out to fit a 4", but it would have had to be mounted non-flush (protruding out about .5"). This was unacceptable to me because I always put my knee in that exact area.

WHAT I DID:
I had to find another location in the door. I sat in the car and temporarily placed the woofer in the available locations to see how the sound imaging would be affected. I put mine...well, it's hard to explain, goto www.picturetrail.com/jjreyna and check out the pick of my Boston Acoustic woofer in the door panel (scroll down to the pic). I made the cut and the woofer just fits, you'll notice I had to use the spacer that came with the BA component set. I have to say that the sound imaging is FANTASTIC for my taste. I love it there, I should mention I pointed the tweeter and woofer toward the seats. Here's the problem I've encountered...1)While I had the panel off I should have replaced ALL the clips in the door with new ones. Mine were old and if you slam the door real hard the clip nearest the speaker pops out. I just have to press it back. 2)With the speaker at the end of the door, it adds mass and it's much easier to slam the door.

It's just another option, hope this helps.

Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index