Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Dan
10-15-2002, 09:39 AM
I wanted to let anyone thinking of purchasing an extended warranty to beware of the Protective Company (Western Diversified Services).

I recently had an engine go bad in my 1998 XJ8. I lost all compression in the engine and found that it was due to excessive and abnormal wear in the upper cylinders (67K miles). I have had independent repair facilities examine the engine and they have never seen anything like this. The abnormal wear is quite obvious as it has worn completely through the Nicosil coating. I have all service records and have kept immaculate care of the automobile. In addition, Jaguar NA has also decided to turn their back on the situation.

I fear that there may be some correlation to the problems that BMW had with their engines in the mid 90's. Evidently they had a recall due to a bad Nicosil coating on the cylinders.

I am quite disappointed in Jaguar and Protective (Western Diversified) as they claim that this is due to "normal engine wear". If this is "normal" wear for an XJ8 with 67K miles, then this is the last Jaguar I will own, and the last time I ever do business with Protective.

Regard . .Dan

Dan
10-16-2002, 11:00 AM
See posting below for . . . Nikasil Blocks on Jag engine - dated 2002-06-23 20:28:19

This is a reoccurring problem with the cylinder lining.

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index