Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Nicky
10-30-2002, 06:11 PM
and I didn't know of anyone else to turn to. Im thinking of selling my E30 M3 for a 99 Saab 93 Turbo coupe. Yes, I know im crazy. But, I am
wondering if anyone can help me with this.I need something for the winter and Automatic as well so, after liking the price tag of 10K on a 99
Silver/black Saab, I decided to take a closer look. .
When I got onto the highway and basically floored it, the Turbo gauge went into the red and then it seemed like a cut off valve turned on and it really
stopped me from being able to stay on it. While i do realize its different nature from a N/A bmw M3 (im selling a 1990 btw).. It seemed odd.. so my
boyfriend took over-insisting that I was doing something to the car (the audacity!!!!), and it happened to him but once he started manipulating the
gas pedal he seemed to be able to work with it. it was an Automatic.. which leads me to ask if this is normal? Is it the tranny? It has 66k on it, and
seems like it was well taken care of. Any advice before I purchase this car Please?
Of course the dealer said he doesn't normally drive them into the Red and there is a cut off valve or something, that kicks in to prevent the Turbos
from over boosting or soemthing.. im not very familiar w/ Turbos. It basically jerked the car and was quite noticible when your revving high and going
at least 80mph, then it cuts off for a second. Please fill me in!
I know you are all Bimmer fans and some may even hate Saab's but Id appreciate any sites that could help me w/ this as well. Thanks!!!! :)

Nicky
10-30-2002, 06:12 PM
if so, is this an easy repair?

hollowellreid
10-30-2002, 06:42 PM
A faulty wastegate or wastegate actuator. This is the device that regulates the boost, but if it fails, the boost will hike untill there is no more. This car may be fitted with a pop off valve, or the knock sensors are sensing knock and cutting the spark. It shouldn't be going into the red. Any idea how many psi that is? I would just keep the m3, i have a turbocharged 2002. good luck.

Alex Argyros
10-31-2002, 07:16 AM
You are better off posting on the regular E39 board....There are tons of knowledgeable people there. Many of my college buddies went to Iona. We are talking late 70s early 80s...brings back memories since I was there almost evey weekend. Drinking age was 18 then. Good Luck!

Alex
'97 540iA (Dinan)

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index