Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

shitebimmer
11-18-2002, 06:34 PM
hey guys. I have an 87 325is and i've been doing some research on a low boost set up. anyway, i was wondering if i only ran 5lbs of boost would i need an intercooler? really, i mean won't the intercooler take away from some of the pressure? and with that low of a boost the air won't get that hot. let me know. Also, do you have any idea what kind of power i'd be making (at the crank).

-****eBimmer

Rich
11-18-2002, 09:18 PM
You shouldn't really need an intercooler with that low of boost as long as you keep the car nice and rich (not too rich) and back the timing off.

You should make anywhere from 220-240hp at the crank depending on how well the turbo is matched to the motor, other modifications, and the overall design put into the turbo kit.

My question is, if you're putting the time and money into a turbo kit, why don't you include the intercooler to get the most out of it. The pressure loss is relatively minimal and is more than made up for with the cooler air entering the motor. Just my 2 cents.
<br>Rich
-1987 325is

jared
11-24-2002, 08:23 PM
the pressure loss is kinda irrelivant if you place the signal line to the turbo wastegate by the throttle body. If you have it set to 5 psi you will get 5 psi, even if it makes 7-9 in front of a crappy intercooler. Some people do not realize that some of the pressure loss they get, if they are set up to deliver a set presure to the intercooler, is not from restriction, but is it from hot air becoming cool air and more dense. 5 psi intercooled vs 5 psi non intercooled has a significantly different density.

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index