Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

RandyRedM3
12-31-2002, 07:38 AM
Hello all,when starting my car in the morning it turns over then shuts right off when i do it a second time and give it gas it stays on but idles rough for at least 30 seconds then it idles fines thereafter,any where to look all the electrics are new,could it be fuel delivery
Also did our 745i's come with LSD,my rear is non lsd and can we upgrade if possible sorry for the long message
Thanks.

demetk
12-31-2002, 12:21 PM
The 745 has an auxiliary air valve for cold start fast idle (#8 in pic). Remove it and check to see if opens when cold and closes when hot. You can use a fridge and a blow dryer to test it. If it doesn't open when cold then the engine won't get the extra bypass air needed when first started which could explain your low idle.

Initial rough idle could be the result of fuel injector leak down causing excessive fuel to be deposited in the intake manifold. It takes a while for this excess fuel to be burned and even longer if there is any carbon buildup on the intake valves. The carbon acts like a sponge and soaks up the excess fuel. Try disconnecting the cold start valve at the thermo-time switch and try starting the car. If the engine fires up right away without the cold start valve then the fuel injectors could be leaking fuel after the engine is shut down. Also look at the exhaust when you first start the car. Blue smoke is also an indication of injector leakage. A couple of tanks of fuel injector cleaner may clear this up.

RandyRedM3
01-01-2003, 07:04 PM

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index