Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

tja0
02-20-2003, 03:19 PM
I'm hoping you can help me get some very annoying scratches out of my baby...

89 325i Cinnibar red

I've got lots of tiny swirling scratches, very subtle but they definately stick right out there if you look at the right angle. They seem to be in the clearcoat but not deep enough to be in the paint itself. It looks like the PO used a 100 grit 'sponge' (kidding) or had sand in the sponge (not kidding) while washing it. The scratches are primarily on the hood, top of the fenders and along the top of the side of the body.

My question is can it somehow be buffed or otherwise worked out? Does anyone know what I can try before I start pricing a paint job.

The finish, despite this problem, is in good shape and still shines.

Hoping for good news and tia

Bretfraz
02-20-2003, 09:10 PM
Welcome to OCD Central.

Swirl marks are a fact of life and most of us obsess over them constantly. Removing them can be easy or hard depending on the extent of the swirls and what tools & products you use.

A machine is both the easiest way to remove and install swirls. Many of us have dual action polishers or rotary polishers that can make quick work of swirls. There are several dedicated swirl mark remover polishes on the market that work in concert with the machines. Together swirl removal is routine.

If it seems like too big of a job you could always take it to a pro detailer. But carefully shop for the best person. Many detailers use a product called glaze that fills in swirls and adds a high gloss (kinda like makeup for car paint) which is not a real fix, its just a cover up. Make sure the detailer understands exactly what you want done and ask how he will do it and what products he'll use.

IF you want to try this yourself first go to a place like NAPA Auto Parts and buy a bottle of 3M Swirl Mark Remover or Meguiar's #9 Swirl Mark Remover. Buy a few cotton terry applicators and experiment on small areas of your car. Pour a small dab of product on the applicator and rub back & forth until the product is virtually gone; there should be nothing to buff off with a clean towel. If that worked you're in business.

Let us know how things go for you.

tja0
02-20-2003, 10:37 PM
I really appreciate it :-)

hcat7
02-21-2003, 12:16 AM
Try this link and save it for print out or reference.

<a href="http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums/detailing/forum.php?postid=1430487&page=1">Buffing and Polishing Help</a>

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index