Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

View Full Version : Palm Beach Motorcars, $500 deposit, #1 on list.

Ben FR
02-03-2002, 10:55 PM

Alan
02-03-2002, 11:15 PM
...people are in line at Palm Beach Motorcars already?

--Alan

Shoefly
02-03-2002, 11:22 PM
So how do deposits work? If I go and put down $500 at my local Lotus dealership, how do things work out?

How do I specify options, color, trim since there are none as of yet.
What happens if there is no U.S. elise made?
Is the deposit to secure MSRP or would they try to bend me over once it came time for payment?

I just gotta know, b/c I would end up selling my M Coupe for the elise. (aka it would be my only car) And the fact that $500 is a lot for me.

alan
02-03-2002, 11:40 PM
...some dealers aren't even accepting deposits yet. Of those that are, I have seen reports varying between $400 and $4000 about the amount they want as a deposit. Typically when you put a deposit down on a car that isn't even in production yet, and isn't guaranteed to be in production, you sign a buyer's order with the dealership that says "color and options to be determined" and lists your deposit on it. You want to get in writing on this buyer's order that the car will be sold to you for no more than MSRP. Even with this in writing, it doesn't mean anything if you are dealing with an unscrupulous dealership. When the E46 BMW M3 first came out, many people that were in line and had signed buyer's orders were told by their dealerships that they would have to pay over MSRP or the next person in line would get the car. Of course, the dealership is supposed to give the deposit money back if the deal doesn't go through.

If no Elise gets made, you should get your money back. If your state doesn't have a law that protects you on this, it is then up to whether you are dealing with a scrupulous dealership or not.

From what I have heard, Lotus USA is a very enthusiast-oriented organization and I believe that if you ever had problems with a dealer that Lotus USA would step up to the plate to make things right.

Now that I've said that, I think you should do some research on the Elise before you consider making it your only car. With your M coupe, you do have some storage room which makes for at least a bit of practicality (surprised I'm saying that word in connection with "M coupe"!! ;) But, the Elise is a very small sports car. I am not sure if it would be livable as an only car--it would depend on your access to a larger car for those times you need to pick up something larger than groceries.

<br>
--Alan

Charlie R.
02-03-2002, 11:44 PM
I'm doing a new dealer locator for the Mini Channel. Where's the definitive list of US dealers?

rick kim member of CRS club
02-04-2002, 12:33 AM

alan
02-04-2002, 12:39 AM
<a href="http://www.lotuscars.com/dealers/USAmap.htm">Lotus USA dealers</a>

Just click on each state for a list in that state. I believe, however, that Lotus USA's own web site may be out of date on this. For Texas, at least, Overseas Motors says they are no longer carrying Lotus.

<br>
--Alan

Royl
02-04-2002, 12:45 AM

dp
02-04-2002, 02:16 AM

dp
02-04-2002, 02:19 AM
don't know any details. i suppose they'll update their site?

Alan
02-04-2002, 10:27 AM

JonM
02-04-2002, 01:00 PM

dp
02-04-2002, 01:10 PM
like having a certain size facility, staff, etc. i somehow doubt that lotus would be keen on someone selling their cars out of two-car garage :)

Ben FR
02-04-2002, 02:17 PM
I would guess the list is extremely small. The dealer didn't even know the US version was coming until we called. The dealer checked with Lotus UK, and subsequently created a list.

-Ben FR

Shoefly
02-04-2002, 06:12 PM

alan
02-04-2002, 06:32 PM
...713-868-6800. Tell him dp and Alan Riley from the Roadfly Elise board sent you. :-) Wally's a really good guy.<br>
--Alan

Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index