Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

View Full Version : Big ugly bumper

dbp
02-04-2002, 12:30 PM
I just got done looking at the 11 page Elise S2 gallery. I think this thing looks absolutely incredible from the front (I have some reservations about it's profile, though. Not to start a flame war, but it DOES have some similarities to the MR2 MkIII). From the front, it looks like it means business, but at the same time it's kind of whimsical. I wonder though... remember when they introduced the 5mph bumper requirment in the 80's (was it?), and Lamborgini just kind of tacked on this huge, ugly looking black bumper to the front of the Countach for the US market? It sure looks like the Elise wouldn't be passing any 5mph bumper test in its current form. It would be a shame if this happened to the Elise.. it looks so sweet just the way it is.

I'm still entertaining the idea of putting down a deposit on the Elise... I just don't think I should let someone hold 2,500 of my dollars for 1.5 years (I'm trying to save for a house here!), which is what the Bellevue dealer is asking, I gather. If a nearby dealer would allow me to put down $500, then perhaps I'd do it. I'm so early in my career that I have no idea where I'm going to be in a year and a half... In any case, I'd probably have to sell the 'coupe to do this, and I'm not sure I want to do that. Hmmm...

board? Royl
02-04-2002, 12:34 PM
Just because I jumped in without even TRYING to negotiate (I'm such a sucker sometimes!), doesn't mean that you can't.

dp
02-04-2002, 01:05 PM
these days the fed requirement is a more reasonable 2.5 mph (same as europe) and apparently certain level of exemptions to crash standards is available for low-volume cars. i'm hoping it would arrive unmolested.

acao
02-04-2002, 02:16 PM

Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index