Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

View Full Version : Am I alone in thinking that S1 better looking?

acao
02-06-2002, 02:08 PM
For some reason, I currently like the looks of the S1 better than the S2. Don't get me wrong, I still love the design of the S2, but IF all things were equal except for the body, I'd choose the S1 today. My opinion may change, its not strongly held anyway. Here's why:

1. The side vents are a little too overdone on the S2 compared to the McLaren-ish S1 vents. The strakes don't look like they would age as well, like the Testarossa's.

2. The black trim in the hood, side, and rear vents are a little much and not as nice as the S1 which just let the ambient light highlight the contours.

3. I like the convex rear fascia of the S1 better than the concave tail light area on S2.

4. I prefer the way the S1 rear fascia scoops below the dual center tailpipes.

5. Front fascia and headlight/parking light units. This is a close call. The S1 seems to be saying "0oo!" like the prototype Panoz Esperante. The S2 is more agressive seems to be to have the maniacal grin of a comic book villain like the Joker or Green Goblin.

Of course, its not all about appearance. I wonder if us bimmerphiles are attracted to the lotus because of Chris Bangle?

Robert Puertas
02-06-2002, 03:03 PM
The S2 is definitely more aggressive, the S1 is cuter.
Whichever design you prefer, the build quality of the S2 body seems far superior.

dp5
02-06-2002, 03:22 PM
now i like them about equally. they're just different (good reason to get both ;)

because the elise is so small, the vents and scoops look big in pictures - whereas in reality they're not. the scale of the car makes it work quite well. if it were ferrari-sized (which is the intuitive assumption looking at a photo) then it would be too much.

the S2 does seem much more like a production car, where S1 has more of that racecar-on-the-street feel and 'refinement' level. which can be good and bad.

Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index