Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

View Full Version : Called to place deposit - Flaky Dealer?

Robert
05-08-2002, 12:52 PM
Called the Lotus dealership in Berverly Hills and asked about getting on the waiting list for the Elise. Salesperson said no problem, took my name and number and that was it... no deposit or anything... I asked him what number I was and he said "Uhhh... 32." I then asked him if being #32 would be good enough to get me a car when they come out based on a limited allocation and he said "Oh yeah, first month." He then proceeded to tell me that they had ordered a THOUSAND Elises... Now this is where I really started wondering, because everything I have read says the total production capacity worldwide is several thousand cars a year... When I pointed this out, he told me that they sell more Lotus cars in the US than any other dealership (I don't doubt that) so they would have a high allocation... But it all sounded a little flaky to me.

I then called the dealership in Thousand Oaks and the guy sounded much more together. Told me I would be #12, they are asking for a $1000 refundable deposit, and he is sending me out the deposit form right now. I think I am going to go with these guys, not just because of the higher number, but because BH seemed a little flaky?

Anyone else have any experiences like this?

Alan
05-08-2002, 01:03 PM
The Elise hasn't eevn been officially announced for the U.S. yet, and no dealers have yet been assigned production slots--there is no way they could have ordered a thousand Elises.

I personally would go with a dealer that gives you a signed buyer's order stating MSRP and stating your order number on it. You can probably find another dealer that will only take $500 of your money, but if you're willing to part with $1000, it sounds like the dealership in Thousand Oaks is being more up-front with you than the Beverly Hills one.

--Alan

Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index