Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

View Full Version : What should i do?

Hansbismark
08-06-2002, 09:16 PM
I am very interested in getting a series II Elise, i am going to england and am looking foward to getting one imported. I want to know what everyone thinks about it and if i should go through with it. Is there anything wrong with it or would you not recomend it. Is it only a good track car or is it also good for everyday street driving. Thank You for your concern.

Hans Bismark

mzzz
08-07-2002, 02:06 AM
one first.

the easiest option is if you are holding a working or student visa and you are importing the car for personal transport use. (actually easiest is if u have a diplomatic visa, or a manufacturer status ;)

if not, the elise can only be imported under track use only.

for all the trouble of getting a track car, you might as well get a Exige (mark I) from Lotus USA. save the money and trouble. more power too.

forget about importing one and then sneaking it for registration. you are not the only person wanting one, so it has been looked into.

is a only a good track car? no. i think many people enjoy driving it regardless where.

is it good for everyday street driving? where do u live? what city are you driving it? really depends on what you expect from a small sports car. you are not to expect to carry a lot of luggage and entry and exit will not please your girlfriend wearing dress. trucks or SUV can run over you easily if you not choose the brightest body color.

so if you can import and register one, let us know. we will be very interested in seeing you on the street with one.

Hansbismark
08-07-2002, 10:54 AM
Thank You for helping me decide, i live in Miami and will have never seen one here, there is probably a reason to that.
Thanks

98 Blue M
08-07-2002, 11:18 AM
Just like M! said, there are alot of issues that will not be easy to resolve when importing one. The government agencies involved will also take their time approving your requests even if there aren't any problems.

Next year it appears that the Elise will have a different engine in it than it does now. The current one (1.8l Rover) is made by an English company that would make it harder to get parts. The one next year appears to be getting a modified version of a Saturn 2.2l engine. Should be cheap & easy to get parts and it will have a bunch more horsepower.

Sorry for raining on your parade though. If you are serious about importing one for track use though you can get one in England for around $30k plus you don't have to pay the VAT (sales) tax of around 17% so it might even lower the price to less than $30k. Beats the $38-40k you're going to pay here. Used ones go for $15k or so.

mzzz
08-08-2002, 02:11 AM
there are some ridiculously priced Elise S1's in some exotic dealers in miami... what? $50K or so USD?? that's alot.

there's some dude selling a 340R as well. i think he was asking $49k??

Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index