Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Slam
11-21-2000, 09:29 PM
I just ordered a MSDS mass air flow system (filter). What power increase can I expect from this. The guy at the shop says it will be very noticeable (8 or more HP!). The MSDS was just over $100 but i've seen tham for as much as $1000. What could be the difference that would justify such a price variation?

Patrick Carroll
11-21-2000, 10:23 PM
I have a 86 951. I purchased a Mass Air Flow system from huntley racing and I increased my horsepower by 100 plus hp. My system came with all the plunbing necesary to install it. It also came with a onboard air fuel mixture control unit and air fuel ratio meter. I have paid 1,600 dollars for my kit. If you goto www.huntleyracing.com you can see some dyno charts for there units on the turbo models and the N/A cars too. What type of 944 do you have? Patrick Carroll

Patrick Carroll
11-21-2000, 10:36 PM
Who makes your system? Do they have a web site?

Charlie R.
11-21-2000, 11:24 PM
I'd also like to know more. The Mass Air Systems from companies like Autothority and Huntley Racing cost over $1K because that's what it costs to produce and engineer them. I'd be very suspicious of any system under $1K. Tell us more about what you propose.

Slam
11-23-2000, 12:52 PM
MSDSs web site is 'msdsinc.com.' They seem to be a great company. I'm new to all this Porsche 'stuff' so let me know what y'all think of the MSDS systems. Mine should arrive tomorrow and i'll install it this weekend so i'll let you know how it does. They say it's the biggest bang for the buck that can be installed on a 944 na.

Patrick Carroll
11-23-2000, 08:12 PM
If your looking for some real speed look up sokporsche@chattanooga.net There into supercharging big time.

slam
11-23-2000, 10:46 PM
Patrick. What is the web site for the place you mentioned?

Patrick Carroll
11-23-2000, 11:32 PM
I don't believe they have a web sight or if they do they do not advertise it. Here is there phone number if you are interested. Supercharging of knoxville (423)842-9556

Michael Weinstein
12-08-2000, 10:51 AM
Guys, MSDS is a company that makes what is called a cold air induction system. It consists of a cone shaped, high flow air filter attached to a non restrictive piece of tubing. The whole idea is to increase CFM of air going into the engine. A mass flow system is a different animal. It is an upgrade to the stock intake air measuring device. It measures the incoming air more precisely than the stock meter and has much less airflow restriction. This alone gives you a boost in H.P., but Huntley Racing adds the adjustable electronic doo dads that let you fine tune your particular car for max. power. The beauty of this is that, whenever you make a change to your car (new exhaust, p & p head, etc) you can adjust the doo dads and keep on driving. Without these, you would need to burn a new engine management chip for the car to run at peak. So, Slam bought a low restriction air filter, not a mass flow system. (No matter what MSDS calls it). I hope this helps explain it some.

Jay Cohen
03-02-2001, 03:27 PM
You're talking about two subjects, and parts here...

The MSDS cone filter and the MAF (Mass Air Flow) kit.

The MSDS reportably gives about 8hp increase.

The MAF kit (choose Huntley or Autothority - whichever) gives between 65-100 hp increases on a Turbo, and about 20ish on the Normally Aspriated cars...

There's the difference. MSDS is an air filter, MAF kits replace the barn-door air meter.

HTH!

Jay

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index