Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Lance Halpern
01-26-2001, 08:44 AM
I have recently purchased a Porsche Boxster at Ray Catena Porsche Edison, N.J.. I feel that the radio that comes with the car is an embarassment based upon the price of the automobile. I currently have a Mercedes 300(My Wife's) and my previous car was a BMW z-3. It confuses me that these automobiles are in fact less money but have better radios. I truly expected that when I purchased the boxter ($10,000 more than my previous z-3)I would at least get a radio with four speakers(not two),the ability to get local radio channel reception and have a sound quality above of that of AM Band with a mix of tin can ambience!!!!!!! When I went to the dealer they told me that nothing was wrong with the radio, but maybe I would be more satisfied with a stereo upgrade. I feel that for the money I spent on the Boxster a decent radio is not an option in which an alledged fine/classy automobile would chose to be frugal on. BMW and Mercedes choses not to and they do not suggest or force you to upgrade on their radios(for what you pay I guess they feel a radio should compliment the quality of the car). I would like to know if anyone else has experienced a dislike or problems with their Porsche Boxster Radio.

Eric
01-26-2001, 10:32 AM
Radios??? Porsches only recently, Ferrari no, Lamborghinni no... it's a sports car! BMWs and Mercedes aren't sports cars. If you want a better stereo put it in. Your stereo was only a few hundred dollars of the price of your car so basically they threw it in for FREE. You could spend $2k on a stereo upgrade from a third party dealer but for what. It's a sports car, the audio quality is always going to stink. Accoustically a two seater sports car doesn't work, harmonic imbalance from an engine kills any hopes of hi-fidelity, should I go on... The only test is w/ the car off in your garage w/ a CD playing. Does it sound good enough then? If it does then don't blame the stereo blame the environment.

Lance Halpern
01-26-2001, 11:37 AM
Hey Eric since when is a BMW Z-3 not a sports car???? I understand the noise variable of a sports car. They may have threw the stereo in, as you say, but I had to pay for it(Nothing Is Free In This World). I was not given the option to purchase a car without a stereo. Why would Porsche offer an upgrade if decent acoustics was impossible? I am not looking for perfection, but if BMW can do it, Porsche can too! Thanks for your advice, but frankly I do not buy it.

Eric
01-26-2001, 12:29 PM
The Z3 is engineered for a different market. It has more civility (a/k/a sound proofing,etc.) engineered in. Blaupunkt (?) makes good equipment you can't blame them. Porsche offers crazy upgrades for a lot of reasons. It's not their job to tell the customer that you're wasting your money, instead they say fine you want an option, here it is. Decent accoustics, OK...Great accoustics...impossible in a boxster. Again, the test is in your garage w/ no other variables. I remeber about 10 years ago having a conversation w/ some guy at a PCA meeting that was complaining about accoustics w/ his sunroof open??? I mean come on??? I konw that's not what you're saying but you've got an uphill battle getting great accoustics out of a boxster. The engine noise, top noise, etc isn't going to let that happen.

Bob Hughes
01-31-2001, 08:32 AM
Eric, I think you are wrong about the accoustics of the boxster radio. This guy Lance is not out of line. I just bought a boxster as well and the radio truly does suck!!!!! I never thought a car such as the Porsche, would come with a radio that sounds like my bedroom alarm clock. I waited 30 years for my first porsche. I am truly disappointed. It rattles, the radio sucks, and I have people like you telling people it is a sports car deal with it. I rather have my old chevy nova ss from highschool, it never rattled and the radio had four speakers. Just because it is a Porsche does not give them an excuse to produce any part of a car that is cheap or inferior (Not for $60,000)!

DR. Hardly
01-31-2001, 09:11 AM
Lance I feel the same way. I bought my Boxster in January and not only does the radio perform with sony walkman quality, but now it rattles too! I should have gotten the Z-3, but I guess I fell for the POrsche Name. Where did you purchase your Z-3? I am a Jersey resident so I would appreciate heads up on any good BMW dealers in the area. I can not believe that I am saying this, but I am glad I have a short lease!

Eugene Hudders
02-01-2001, 02:02 PM
I was displeased also about the radio as well. When I expressed my displeasure to the dealer they told me to call some 800 number. I did, and was told by some porsche executive that,what should I expect it is a racing car! racing cars are not meant for radios! Well the last time I checked, route 287 is not a race track and I live in the Usa not the german autoban! If it is meant to be used as a race car why bother with leather interior? Ac, or Heat! Nice excuse Porsche, but lame. Try that on someone else, because I will never buy a POrsche again.

Tom Olson
02-02-2001, 12:25 PM
The radio stinks!!!!!!!!! Why do they bother putting garbage like that in such a fine automobile. Cutting corners? I have had several other fine convertabiles. No, the radios were not carnegie hall in quality, but still capable of producing enjoyment. If the radio was better maybe I would not have heard the rattle in my boxster that I am now contending with.

Daniel Dinen
02-09-2001, 11:17 AM
Tom, Eugene, Dr. Hardly,and Lance. You can add my name to the list of disatisified and disappointed Porsche Boxster owner. I agree about the inferior radio, but what gets me right now is the rattle(which porsche can not seem to fix) I have to deal with in my car. I have hired a lawyer and I am about to pursue the Car Lemon Law option. If you are interested in joining my lawsuit please post message and I will give you info to contact my lawyer.

Jonathan
02-26-2001, 12:10 PM
My radio sucks too. I get AM reception like the original Marconi
prototype. But it's a friggin Boxster. If you'd trade it in because of
the radio you're driving the wrong car. Put the top down, keep it at
5000 RPM, and let the wind and exhaust fill your ears. By the way, the
Z3 is a sports car - just of the subtype "chick ca

Paul Stanley
03-02-2001, 08:31 AM
Please you must be joking. The guy was not saying he was trading it in because of the radio. He is disappointed in what has been presented to him in an alleged superior car. Keep driving at 5000rpm so the buzz in your ears continues and maybe it will go to your head, so a chevy nova will appeal to you next. You when you pay alot for an automobile you expect alot. There is nothing wrong with Lance's, Eric's, Bob's,Eugene's,Dr. Hardly's, Tom's, and Daniel's philosophy. I feel the same way. I tried to express that to Porsche Customer Service of North America and they seem not to care. So I say to them FU. There are other cars out there.

Scott
04-14-2001, 12:01 PM
That's mostly because it is a "nice" radio, it just happens to be a very overpriced Becker. Porsche does not want other brands in their cars.

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index