Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

View Full Version : Random engine stalling

David Salama
01-30-2001, 10:08 PM
I recently bought a 1987 951 with 104K miles. It has Autothority stage II chips. Every 3 or 4 times I drive the car, the engine dies while driving. It has happened randomly, off boost, usually when cold, and at slow or fast speeds. Most of the time I can restart it immediately, but one time, the engine cranked and cranked, but did not start. After opening the hood and tapping the DME relay, in addition to other ignition wires and the coil, the engine started. Does anyone else have this problem? Is it a bad DME relay, or is there other possibilities. Could it be the Autothority chips? I would greatly appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

Charlie R.
01-30-2001, 10:19 PM
could be a number of things but the first thing that pops into my head is your airflow meter is going bad or your throttle control. Unfortunately w/ both of these you either have to replace them and hope that solves the problem or wait for them to fail completely.

David Salama
01-30-2001, 10:25 PM
Thanks Charlie. Do you think the DME relay plays a possibility at all? Where is the airflow meter? Do I need a mechanic to check it, or is there something I can do. In regards to the throttle control, I've read about cleaning up the connections on the black throttle control switch opposite the throttle cable. Do you think this might help. By the way, the throttle response, idle, and driveability is completely normal except for this random stalling. Thanks again!!

fletch
01-31-2001, 11:58 AM
I had a very similar problem, I had to replace a lot of stuff before I eventually discovered it was the air flow meter. First I changed the fuel filter and fuel pump. Then the DME relay, fuel pump relay and throttle position sensor (very common problem). I also discovered the pressure line from the fuel pump had a leak where the metal fitting connects to the rubber hose. I had to fix that as well. You have to drop the torque tub to replace that line, thats about 10 hours if your lucky. You can cut the line (e-mail me if you want the part number for the compression fittings needed). Finally I ponyed up and replaced the air box and the problem was solved. The factory repair manual has a lengthy explanation on how to test the air box, you have to jump some pins, and ground out other pins. I could never get it to work. If I was to guess, I would say you have a fuel problem, try the fuel pump relay 993 615 227 00 19.90 at the dealer, and a new fuel filter. Check the fuel rail for fuel pressure. The DME relay, throttle pos. sensor are very expensive placed to start, and airbox failure is very very rare. The airbox in my case did not prevent the car from restarting, the door or gate was sticking and when it released the car would restart on it own. To test the throttle pos. sensors just unplug it and drive the car and see if the problem goes away. The car will run without it the DME will run at default setting. Check O2 sensor, loose connection or bad readings will cause problems, but usually not engine shutdown. fletch

Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index