Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Jon Guthrie
02-01-2001, 08:55 PM
I am 16 and am considering buying a 944. I am thinking of a '87-'89. Are they really expensive to maintain, because that is my main concern. I can do some work myself. Also, is insurance on these things a lot higher than other cars. thnx Jon

Charlie R.
02-02-2001, 11:33 AM
Just make sure to get one that has good records and then get it checked out. I think most of the people here would agree w/ me that a reasonably maintained 944 is good up to about 300K. You'll need a clutch, brakes things like that but in general they're pretty good cars. Good luck.

James
02-02-2001, 03:39 PM
Yeah, they're great cars if you know how to properly maintain and operate one. I'm 18 and my 944 was my first car. Be careful! It's quite a bit of car for a young driver. I wrapped mine around a tree trying to negotiate a corner. It made for a bad day. Parts are expensive, but not really a whole lot needs to be done. Make sure the belts are fresh, primarily the timing belt. If that snaps, your whole engine is toast. The clutch will have to be done eventually too. Anyway, if you're a good driver and can afford the rediculous insurance rates, get one. You'll have a blast. Good luck.

Josh Childress
02-02-2001, 04:13 PM
I am 16 and the proud owner of a 1987 944S, its a really great car. You have to be really carefull when your looking, its easy to get excited and jump right in. Just remember when inspecting the car that everything wrong with the car isn't going to be easy, or cheap to fix. My car will hold its own out on the road, for the price of a used Integra.

GaryF
02-22-2001, 12:59 AM
The 944 is an easy car to maintain for the basics -- brake pads, oil changes (need a special cap wrench for the filter -- about $10), fluid changes, cap, rotor, plugs, oxygen sensor. Some of the big ticket items 1) timing belt -- must be replaced/checked religiously. It is not really user replacable both due the work involved and special tensioning tool necessary. Bye, bye valves if it breaks; 2) clutch -- driven properly, they last a long time. Sadly, to replace it, the transaxle has to be removed in order to remove the drive shaft to then remove the clutch housing/assembly. Figure on about $1000-1500, depending upon who does it. Definitely, not for the do it yourselfer; 3) rear CV (constant velocity) joints. This bearing assembly -- two per side on the half shafts -- is a normal wear item. Checked routinely and kept well greased, they'll last a long time. The official Porsche part costs about $150 per CV joint BUT there's a VW/Audi duplicate that is the same part and costs only about $30. The price of an OEM name! 4) Oil seals -- they wear out eventually on any car. The common ones for the 944 are the front seals and the side seals of the transaxle. The rear ones are straightforward to replace but the front ones require removal of a whole bunch of stuff and, typically, are replaced with the timing belt service. The front ones are important because if they're leaking, they can leak oil onto the rubber timing belt, contaminate it and require that the belt be replaced as well. 5) Second gear synchro has the tendency to wear earlier than the other four. Can make shifting a bit tricky but shouldn't be too big a problem unless the car was really driven abusively, in which case lots of other stuff could be problematic 6) Fuel pump -- they're good for 60-100k miles; when they go they will either make tons of noise (located under the right rear of the car) or simply die with little/no warning. It's a pricey Bosch part -- about $200.

Hope this helps.

victor
03-03-2001, 06:04 PM
hey man Im 18 and ive had my 944 since I was 17. I havent had a lot of problems with mine only problem I have had is figuring out what to do. This car is very fun and very expensive for young people. My father is a mechanic and it took us 2 days to change the thermostat!!! When i bought the car My dad said its not a problem I can work on anything! right!he was wrong. since I got it Ive put it in the shop twice(once when i first got it, next when we had a problem with the gages) My car cathches a lot of attention at my high school! a definite plus!!!! its candy apple red with c2 rims and pirelli tires no engine mods yet (im still in school) Its hard to afford this while im in school because i get no financial help from the parents, But i think of that as a learning experiance. I worked for 4 monthes every day getting 52-60 hours a week at the car warsh so i can afford my car. I am very proud to say i worked hard for my PORSCHE 944 and feel very rewarded. well... good luck mail me to tell me how its going VICTOR

J. Rippetoe
03-13-2001, 06:04 PM
I saw all your posts on the 944's and I was wondering how much a "decent" 944 should go for. I am looking for a good daily driver that I can also make a project out of. Thanks for the info.

James

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index