Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

View Full Version : Fastest launch of a 944 Turbo?

David Salama
02-07-2001, 09:35 AM
When I try to launch my 951 quickly, I seem to bog down in low rpms until the turbo boost, then I get total wheel spin at full throttle, even with my 275/40-17 tires. Has anyone perfected the launch? What are some good tips? Do you have to stay off full throttle once the turbo spools up? Thanks.

Charlie R.
02-07-2001, 03:07 PM

David Salama
02-07-2001, 04:17 PM
I,m not in the habit of drag racing, but I still enjoy the rush of properly accelerating my vehicle without wheelspin. Does no one else have trouble with wheelspin once the turbo kicks in?

fletch
02-07-2001, 05:52 PM
Strait line wheel spin after spool up is something I have never heard of, and don't believe is possible. The only things I can think of that might cause this would be:

Tires that are worn so bad as to be a hazard,
Any buy 3 get the 4th one free tires,
Tires that have way to much air pressure,
A car that has more boost than a plane.

If your having inside wheel spin in a turn when the boost comes on, then you probably do not have a LSD. If you have LSD then it's worn out. This is the more likely what your reporting.

fletch
building my web site
www.slip.net/~fletch

Dan951
02-07-2001, 10:10 PM
I get some wheel spin if I drop the clutch around 3900 rpms and just floor it, this seems to be the best way I can get my car to just plain hook up, any other way and its just a smoke fest. I'm running 14psi of boost, huntley chips, boost enhancer, and filter.

Dan
87 951

David Salama
02-07-2001, 11:18 PM
My 951 has no LSD. I have what I believe to be the best performing dry traction street tire with 50 % tread, the BF Goodrich G-Force T/A KDs 275/40-17s. I have had these tires on the race track on my BMW before, and they are quite slippery until they heat up, then they stick like glue. Perhaps this is my problem (cold tires). I assure you that my boost is the usual 1.9 or so, (chipped) and that I get wheel spin in a straight line on smooth pavement.

Partick Carroll
02-08-2001, 07:43 PM
I don't know what you drive or have driven before Fletch but I have a 951 the will spin the tires in a strait line all day lond. I have a aftermarket LSD Dif and I tell you that the first few feet dont spin very much if at all but when my boost comes on you can wright your name on the street with rubber. A stock 951 probably wont spin the tires very well but I assure you that my car will.

David Salama
02-08-2001, 08:03 PM
Patrick,

I,m still thinking about the Mass Flow. Do you mind telling more about your LSD. Have you noticed greater cornering ability, or acceleration out of the corners. Where did you get it from? How much did it cost? Thanks.

Partick Carroll
02-09-2001, 12:32 AM
It is a Quaife "I think that is how you spell it" It costs around 1,200+ dollars. That isn't the worst part though. The big cost comes when you want to get it put into the trany. I'll mail you the rest of the info on it.

Patrick C Carroll

P.S. If you have any more questions please mail me at [email protected]

Thanks

fletch
02-09-2001, 02:12 AM
If you have spin when the boost comes on I would look at tire
choice, and inflation. I could not break my car loose if I tried, and
it's a far cry from stock. I have used A008 ,A032R's Hoosiers,
and G-force R1's with great results in all dry conditions, when I
turn the boost up I still get no spin.

I realize this may not address the problem mentioned in this
thread, but wheel spin is not a desirable condition. To correct
the problem tire choice should be at the top of the list.

fletch
www.slip.net/~fletch

fletch
02-09-2001, 02:14 AM
If you have spin when the boost comes on I would look at tire
choice, and inflation. I could not break my car loose if I tried, and
it's a far cry from stock. I have used A008 ,A032R's Hoosiers,
and G-force R1's with great results in all dry conditions, when I
turn the boost up I still get no spin.

I realize this may not address the problem mentioned in this
thread, but wheel spin is not a desirable condition. To correct
the problem tire choice should be at the top of the list.

fletch
www.slip.net/~fletch

Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index