Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

View Full Version : Porsche 944 Turbo Transmission

Dan951
02-12-2001, 08:15 PM
Alright guys,
I'm finely going to lay down the money and get alot of things repaired on my car. It's currently at Prestige Auto (great place) getting the timing belt, all other belts, all pullys, waterpump, and a new transmission (remember i posted about second gear was hard to shift). My question is, what year did Porsche install the heavier duty 944 turbo transmissions with harden gears? Was it started on the 88 944 Turbo? Or was is it just the 88 Turbo S? Also any recomendations on where I should purchase my transmission from? I want a LSD harden gear trans without the shorter gear option?! (Didnt porsche have an option for a shorter ratio for street driving?) Is there any part #s on the transmission that will tell the difference between these to transmissions?

Thanks
Dan Scully
87 951
Currently in hospital for surgery.

Charlie R.
02-13-2001, 09:28 AM
I vaguely remember that all the "S" had the upgraded gear boxes. I don't think any of the pre '89s did.

As far as lower gears, never heard of that one as being available to consumers. There were alternate rear end ratios available for cup cars and SCCA cars in the day. You could get them from Motorsports or if you were well connected but you couldn't buy them over the parts counter.

Dan951
02-13-2001, 07:42 PM
Thanks for the input,
My transmission is going to JP Motorsports in CA for a full rebuild. Can't wait to get it back.

Thanks
Dan

Charlie R.
02-13-2001, 09:46 PM
I forget the exact specs, but basically when they reassemble the limited slip they can make it "less slippery" that is to say closer to being locked. I think your choices are either 40% or 80%. Talk to them about it and see what they have to say.

Dan951
02-14-2001, 09:59 PM
He is now putting in a tighter clutch disc so the rear end will lock up more, thanks for the advice.

Dan

popovski mitko
04-04-2001, 02:23 PM
I like magazin

Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index