Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

View Full Version : Manual vs. Auto

SM
02-14-2001, 07:50 PM
I'm sold on Porsche, but I'm trying to decide whether to go stick or auto. My dealer only had the auto, so I was wondering if anyone who drove both could help me out. With the control factor of the manual set aside, performance wise does the manual "feel" signifiganly more powerful than the auto? In my mind I want to go manual due to all I've heard from all my friends. The only thing is I've driven "stick" for two days in my life, and I'm not sure how it's going to be in the long run (plan on keeping the bimmer for at least 7 or 8 yrs). I hesitate to go manual because I'm not sure if changing gears myself will feel like a chore after I loose the that new car feeling (while I'm not engaging in "spirited driving", rather going to the grocery sore, running errands, etc.).

Charlie R.
02-14-2001, 08:26 PM
The tiptronic tranny is very nice. It's nearly as quick in sport mode as the manual.

The real question is probably where and how do you drive. If you drive a lot in the city, talk w/ your hands, hold a cell phone, where a suit, drink coffee...then the tip is a better way to go. I prefer manual but I also really enjoyed my auto 928. It's nice to not have to shift. I just recommended the tip to my dad because he's a little older, talks on the phone the entire time he's in the car and doesn't really want to deal w/ shifting. He says he likes to drive manual but the reality is he hasn't driven a manual in 20 years and it's not his lifestyle anymore.

I'd ask the dealer to let you take the car home for 3-4 days, that's the only way you'll know. You don't want to buy anything you're not completely 100% sure you'll be happy with.

Just my 2

PETER M
02-15-2001, 09:18 AM
I agree with Charlie, I use my tip as a daily driver and with my 45min 8 mile commute this morning I'm happier than ever with my choice. If you're looking for a weekend limited use car there would be no decision but at least I needed to be practical.

Peter M

JG
02-16-2001, 11:05 PM
I would recommend manual 6-speed because Porsches are truly designed to be high performance sports cars. You are truly 100% engaged when you are driving a Porsche at speed and downshifting into the corners and upshifting as you guide the car into the next straight.
A manual shift is a big part of driving a real sports car and the Porsche 6-speed is a delight.
On the other hand if you are going to drive the car in traffic everyday then a manual will become a burden and you will want an automatic. However, I would never recommend a Porsche Carrera to someone who drive everyday in stop and go traffic.

Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index