Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

John
03-01-2001, 05:19 PM
performance and looks .. thank you

Paul Stanley
03-02-2001, 08:22 AM
Definitely the Z3!!!! I have found that the Boxster is truly over-rated. Yes it is a pretty car and it has the infamous porsche name, but the z3 is less$$$ money and gives the same performance. By the way you should read some of the latter Boxster posts about rattles and the crappy radio, which might sway you as well. I had a z3 and now have a boxster. I plan to go back to BMW. My experience with porsche between rattles, a crappy radio which was presented to me as their best, and my dealings with Porsche America Customer Service(Who laughed at my complaints and said "americans do not understand what the porsche experience is about" has been truly disapointing based on Porsche's percieved superior image.

HillB in Plano
03-02-2001, 06:20 PM
Well, you are asking on a Porsche site, so I would expect that to be the choice you get here. And which Z3 (engine) are you talking about?

Never having driven a Z3, my understanding is:

Acceleration - I think the M3 roadster had a slight edge, and they don't make that anymore, do they?
Handling - Boxster edge. It will make you a star.
Looks - Completely subjective; I have heard the Z3 called a "clown shoe", but my wife loves them and who knows what they call the boxster.
Interior - Subjective again. BMW very purposeful (I think boring). Porsche a little more flowing.

If you have any interest in track events, you can't beat the PCA (depending on your region).

Go drive them both. Why ask us? I think it was R&T that rated them #1 Boxster S, #2 Honda S2000, #3 M3 Roadster, and #4 Audi TT.

Robert Joe
03-04-2001, 11:53 PM
I thought the Z3.0 has a little more zip than the boxster.
The boxster handled better (but the Z3 is no slouch)
Looks are subjective.
The boxster was definitely noisier, so the Z3 is a better daily driver.

Paul, do you agree the boxster is noisier?

Mick
03-05-2001, 01:44 PM
There are a lot of comparison articles written about these two and others with the Porsche coming up on top, at least that's what I remember. The Boxster is considered a better pure sports car. The Z3 gets dinged mostly for it's ancient (in automotive years) rear suspenion design which has it's roots in the E30 3 Series, which is 2 gens back. Both have plastic rear windows. They are both great looking cars (no one would vomit on either as they would say a Pontiac Aztec) so that's your call and you can't go wrong with either in that respect.

Mick

RLaverne
03-11-2001, 09:40 PM
I own a 2000 S and it has NO rattles. Radio is great - who listens to radio if they are driving the car and pushing the limit; want great sound buy Lexus. If you don't push the limit in a sports car forget it; if you want a smoooooth ride get a Buick. Noise is a matter of opinion, but again, noise is great if the car is being used the way a sports car should be used. As far as less get up and go as compared to a Z3; yes a Z3 has more power, but when you apply it in a road course (read twsity roads), and compare the manuverability (read agility) the Boxster is the superior vehicle. True it is a pricey car, but then again that is a matter of opinion. You get what you pay for. Enough said.

Help
03-14-2001, 05:25 PM
Z Who? This conversation is a complete joke! You guys have no clue. The Z3 and its outdated suspension and horrible resale value, what a joke. ThE Z3 is a slushbox.

FrankRizzo
03-19-2001, 07:51 PM
Which ever one will make you happy. It doesn't matter what anyone else likes, wants, or has. Drive them both, and get the one that does the most for YOU.

JoshMW
03-23-2001, 07:58 PM
I think RLaverne drives a 924.

jay
04-15-2001, 03:57 PM
z3 coupe. i just bought a brand new z3 coupe. i'm not really into convertible cars but have driven z3 roadster, boxster, tt, etc. just for the comparison of boxster and roadster, i'd say go for boxster. if you were to compare boxster to z3 coupe, get a z3 coupe. the bmw interior can be very classic and sporty depending on your preferences but is definitely better than the ****ty boxster interior.

BMWGuy
04-21-2001, 08:49 AM

Alex
04-29-2001, 06:24 PM
Drive both and decide for yourself.

Greg
05-08-2001, 12:42 PM
Tried both the Boxster and the Z3 (Thru in the Mercedes for fun). Chose the Z3 3.0 as the closest thing to my old 1967 XKE. It's engineering is a bit dated but, it's got enough performance and class to carry it for many years to come. And I guess, the bellow of a long stroke six will do it for me as long as I live.

Tuong Nguyen
05-25-2001, 03:39 PM
Boxster got ****ty interior? I think (and many others) the z3 coupe got the ****tiest looking exterior!

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index