Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Head
03-06-2001, 09:31 PM
I have an 85.5 944 with an interesting problem. Under speed I can drive the car normally without any problems. When driving at low speed, 10mph or lower, I can not turn the wheel. I have two friends that drive BMW and SAAB that said my steering rack is shot. I have two questions. One, my water pump went out before I noticed the steering problem, would this have any effect? Two, how much trouble am I looking at to fix both cost and actual work effort. I appreciate any help you can give me.
Thank you.

Charlie R.
03-07-2001, 10:17 AM
Have you checked all the other components of your steering? Have you checked your resevoir? Is it holding fluid? What about other leaks? On an 85.5 it certainly is possible that it's time for a new steering rack, I'd check everything else first though. There's a company that advertises in Pano that sells rebuilt steering racks. I don't remember how much they cost but i'd check them out.

The water pump probably didn't have anything to do w/your problem unless the mechanic cut a hydraulic line on the steering rack. A steering rack isn't that tough to replace but they are costly.

Head
03-07-2001, 06:41 PM
thanks Charlie!
I don't have any noticable leaks and the resevoir is full and a friend and I will replace the water pump when I get the parts. does this Pano place have a web site?
I appreciate the help

Ed Waters

Charlie R.
03-08-2001, 09:57 AM
Porsche Panorama Magazine(Pano) is the name of the monthly magazine for the Porsche club of america http://www.pca.org/. It's a great resource for everything Porsche. call Omar at Intersport in Virginia and ask him where to get a remanufactured steering rack. (703) 242-8680.

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index