Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

View Full Version : Waterpump update and a new sound?

Scott and his 951
03-26-2001, 11:26 PM
Car just went through major service that included the updated Porsche waterpump, new belts, new tensioners, new hoses and new front engine seals. "It now runs like a top." The engine temp guage use to fluctuate a good bit during stop and go driving and now it stays pretty steady.

Only thing is that I now have a whirring noise that I'm guessing is coming from the waterpump. Is that the normal sound that my car should make which I didn't notice before b/c the old waterpump gave up the ghost? Does the updated pump cause this noise or should the noise even exist? Thanks in advance for your knowledge.

Dan951
03-27-2001, 03:27 PM
I think your probably hearing the belts getting use to the tension. Ussually a tight belts will make that noise you are experiencing. Have they always made this sound?

Dan

Nick
04-01-2001, 08:20 PM
We did the whole water pump upgrade, belts, pulley seal etc. on our 85 1/2. There was a slight whining noise that wasnt there before. We pulled the car apart and checked it twice and it is normal. Some of the new pullies from porsche are plastic. Not metal. We think that this is the noise. But who knows. The car runs perfect.

Rob
04-03-2001, 08:14 PM
I just bought a '88 944NA last week. I heard the same whirring noise. I immediately thought "waterpump!" I was told by a mechanic and the former owner that the car has always made that noise during the first 15-20k miles after a belt change. I hope they're right. Belt was changed at 130k miles. Car now has 146k miles.

Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index