Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

View Full Version : Upgrades

Gerry
04-04-2001, 03:56 PM
i just wanted to know what are some good performance upgrades for my 85.5 944, i am going to put a chip upgrade in it and a new throttle cam, any other ideas? Do you think those are worth the time/money?
Any help wold be great.
Thanks
Gerry

Dan
04-04-2001, 05:38 PM
No you cannot stick in a 951 engine in a 944 with out lots and lots of money. If you want more power sell your na and purchase a 951. Other than that do the basic upgrades until (chip, exhaust, k&n) you can afford a turbo.

Dan
87 951, Huntley Racing Stage 3 MAF, MBC, CHIPS, Diff, Exhaust
300HP+ and 316TQ at the wheels

Nick
04-04-2001, 07:52 PM
Gerry,

I have a chip in my 85.5 944. Big improvement. Do that first and see how you like it. The throttle cam gives the car better feel. But when I added the chip I removed it because I felt the cam (when used with the chip) made the car a bit jerky. And do note that the cam does absolutly nothing for performance. It just makes your foot move a bit less. It makes the car feel better though. But I didnt like it with the chip. But thats only my opinion. Alot of people like them used together.

As far as a turbo is concerned. I have driven the turbos (stock) and they are quicker. But off line they have a good amount of lag and are more sluggish than a NA when you drive the car normal. But when you get moving they are faster. I happen to think the S and S2 and 968 are a better option for more power. But their repair costs are higher. And they are a bit less reliable than the regular 944's or the turbos. I would just do the options you mentioned for more punch. There are alot of things you can do to the engine for more power. But they only give you a bit of improvment each. And they are Expensive.

You could supercharge it. There are a couple of companys that make bolt on's for a couple of grand. Or you could go with nitrous. But it is not that practical for daily driving and it could hurt the engine.

Gerry
04-05-2001, 08:26 AM
What is a good brand for the chip, i dont know much about it except what it does. Where can i get em? How do i put it in?
Thanks for your help
Gerry

Gerry
04-05-2001, 08:29 AM
One more thing, I heard about the HR mass air system, is that just for turbos?
Thanks
Gerry

Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index