Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

View Full Version : high boost produces flash smell of coolant 86 944T

ryan
04-06-2001, 06:44 PM
I have an '86 944 Turbo with a Superchip in it. I bought the car and it came with the chip, I have some but not much info on it. I do know that the boost gauge will now go all the way to 2 bar, and supposedly the turbo is boosted 100% under partial throttle, instead of the somewhat more relaxed stock boost control.

Anyways, after a short sprint at full boost (ie floor it in 2nd gear) I can briefly smell coolant (like it's evaporating???). My temp gauge reads normal, there is no detriment to performance, and the coolant level is never noticeably lower than before. Also, I don't think the smell is coming from the overflow hose (so I doubt the cooling system is over-pressurized by a blown head gasket).

Is it possible some coolant is getting seared by excessive heat produced from the extra boost and full use of the turbo???

Anybody out there with non-stock chips smelled coolant before?

thanks.
-R

Charlie R.
04-07-2001, 10:04 AM
First check your oil. If you see fluid/water in your oil then you blew your head gasket. This is the most likely scenario. The increased performance of the chip doesn't add any more pressure to the cooling system so it's not like you blew off a hose or something. On the other hand it could be coincidental.

Again, check your oil for fluid. If you think you see something get a second opinion from your local Porsche dealer or shop. Just drive up and ask one of the techs, they should be willing to help.

martin
04-07-2001, 04:21 PM

Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index