Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index


O2 Quik
04-12-2001, 10:43 PM
Do any of you who are on the waiting list at BMW Mississauga have a copy/fax of the original 'preliminary' price/option list that Mississauga BMW was giving out last summer. I need something in hard copy as I'm just about to do battle with them again.

I have on a confirmed 'Vehicle Purchase Agreement' that was signed and countersigned last August when I traded in my 911 which indicates Titanium Silver N/C (No Charge) before BMW Canada announced the price change. They of course, are telling me that they cannot honour this and I plan to fight them on it - especially since my order has been submitted for production and I cannnot change it to a non-metallic colour without suffering additional wait time. My argument is also on a verbal contract that they promised delivery of the car last Fall and have not paid me a cent of my $60K deposit/trade-in since that time - I figure that the interest alone is worth waiving the additional charge for metallic paint.

I am going to slaughter these guys on the customer satisfaction survey if I can ever complete this painfull experience. This has been such a bad exerience that I really regret giving up that 911.

Any assistance to this lowly consumer would be appreciated.

Thanks brothers...

04-12-2001, 10:59 PM
Read all the fine print before you fight the $500 cost of the paint. You will find the cost of the paint is less than a retainer and 2 hours with a lawyer.

Peter in T.O.
04-12-2001, 11:01 PM
I have my order @ Downtown, and I've never seen a price list with metallic paint as N/C. I assumed it was N/C since it wasn't an option (and still isn't officially, I think), but apparently "all 3-series have a $800 charge for metallic paint", according to my salesguy. So yeah, I wasn't too happy to hear that either.

You may have a tough time arguing your case based on your VPA (see item 5 on the reverse side). But in your situation, with the crap you've had to put up with, I think you are in your right to have them pick up the charge. You'd be better off using that angle, IMO.

Mississauga and T+C have a bad reputation to start with (which is why I went Downtown, even though they are both located more conveniently for me) -- they should take this opportunity to rectify that. I'm sure they know the importance of customers (or lack thereof) through referrals.

Good luck and let us know what happens.


04-12-2001, 11:12 PM
Ummkay!? Why didn't you just sell the car yourself and throw the money in a money market fund for a year and collect $3000 dividend/interest? Not trying to flame but it's just that is the strangest transaction I have ever heard of for a car.

04-12-2001, 11:17 PM
This was before the delays and you expected the car in 2-3 months. I still would have made them cut me a check after I knew about the delays. If for nothing else just in case the dealership goes bankrupt and I would never see a cent back.

O2 Quik
04-12-2001, 11:27 PM
In Ontario this constitutes a car Trade-in. I only pay 15% tax on the balance AFTER the trade in allowance = $9,000 in tax savings which is like selling my car on the open market for $69,000. If they were to cut me a cheque, it would not be considered a 'trade-in'. Your right though, I did not know about the delays at that time. This dealer is also owned by the only the exclusive dealer of Ferrari in Canada, so I wasn't too worried about bankruptcy.

O2 Quik
04-12-2001, 11:30 PM

Mr. Grinch
04-12-2001, 11:41 PM
I believe the info sent out last fall was the same for all BMW dealers across Canada, so you could get the same thing from just about any dealer.

I do have a fax of it, but, unfortunately I won't be back until Tuesday.

04-12-2001, 11:59 PM
Perhaps my observation is off, but over the period of a full year I have seen more negative postings on BMW dealerships around NA then I care to count. I love my M Coupe, but it goes to show that a vehicle is nothing but a fire you toss money into. It's a damn shame that people are no longer honest with each other and are willing to take advantage of a person as soon as the get the chance. Good luck with your battle.

04-13-2001, 12:09 AM
Yes, trade-in allowance works the same way in the US but of course the benefits are much greater in Canada due to the higher taxation. I know that most US dealers hold a high importance to the survey feedback that the customer submits to the manufacturer after the car purchase. I would try and use that as persuasion to get them to honor your original pricing. They may smirk and tell you to kiss their arse but it's worth a shot. And I would definitely give BMW your truthful bad survey responses about the dealership if in the end you get stuck with a higher price. Other than that I can't think of any other ideas. Many folks here in the states have a similar problem but it's not an additional $475 for paint but rather a $10k-$15k over MSRP cost and no one has found any easy solutions.

ben, fla
04-13-2001, 09:30 AM
In very early July 00, I ordered an 00 911 cab that the dealer got on a special allocation "program car". This car was supposed to arrive in 30 days at the earliest and 60 days at the longest. This all made since because Porsche closes the factory in August for retooling the new model year cars. Unfortunately, I sold my 98 911 cab within 3 days of the contract being made and did a "pre-trade" as well to save the 6% on the $65k. No calls, no nothing. Then in late August while the factory was closed (no more 2000s being made) and my 60 day "max" window had run, Porsche decides that even though they allocated the dealer (and therefore me) a 2000. So they bump the price $1500 on base MSRP on 2001s and start some silly arse bundling option program (since changed mid 01 model year after all the bitching) which ran the car up another $4k (+$1500 in increased MSRP) if I wanted the options I ordered on the 00. So, Porsche matched the 00 MSRP ($1500 less), but you guessed it; they told me to f off about the increase in options prices owing to bundling. Of course all this was in writing and in contract form, but they don't give a flip. I probably could have litigated it and spent more than the options increase doing so, but that's a PIA.

That said, ALL my current orders specifically state "MSRP or better" as well as the # of allocation. If I ever find out (and I will check if my orders don't fill soon enough) that I was bumped on my allocation, I will sue just for the fun of it irregardless of the cost.

ben, fla
04-13-2001, 09:37 AM
"Read all the fine print before you fight the $500 cost of the paint. You will find the cost of the paint is less than a retainer and 2 hours with a lawyer."

First, principal counts for a heck of a lot.

Second, a case like this does not require a lawyer and either does small claims court.

04-13-2001, 09:50 AM
I have the sheet ... no mention of paint being N/C. Just not listed on the sheet period.

O2 Quik
04-13-2001, 12:43 PM
If you would be so kind as to fax it to my office at 905 282-9193, I would really appreciate it or if you have a scanned copy that you can e-mail, please forward it to

Thanks a bunch...

O2 Quik
04-13-2001, 12:49 PM
The Better Business Bureau may not have any legs but it would not serve a dealer well to get negative publicity like that. Did you try this route?


04-13-2001, 09:00 PM
Sure, but when I ordered my 996 there was a loooooooong wait list all over the country. I'd have had to start all over (plus the pre-trade on my 98 which was done 3 days after placing the order kinda locked me in further). Besides, the ream job took place over four months and was quite progressive. It was kinda like taking a frog and boiling him alive by slowl, but progressively turning up the heat as he gets used to it.

04-13-2001, 09:39 PM
I agree 100% "principal counts for a heck of a lot."
And small claims court is great but is not enforceable according to my lawyer friends. You can win but collecting isn't that easy.

HOWEVER!, Small claims court may work great b/c the owner may not want to waste his time for $800. He can just take it out of profit as I think he/she should.

Why are all of these BMW dealers so rude?

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index