Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

photog
04-21-2001, 04:38 AM
There've been complaints on this board about the M3 E46 interior being cheapened from the E36 version. Here's a link to 3 side-by-side pictures that support that opinion, but I think it's not that big a deal. I'm defintely not taking my name of the waiting list, and I'm still gritting my teeth to endure the wait.

E36 is on the left in all 3 pics.

1. E46 door panel just doesn't look as elegant.
2. bright M slashes on the E36 seats definitely look better than the cheap ///M impressed into the E46 headrest. Heck, you can barely even see the thing on the E46.
3. E36 had dual-zone heat control. E46 appears to have only single zone. 2 temp controls on the E36, only one on the E46.

monkey
04-21-2001, 06:34 AM
Are you kidding me? Maybe you should take a closer look at that pic. The E36 door panel looks like a cheep piece of SHlT compared to the sleek E46...imagine how the much better the E46 door will look after we recieve the brushed aluminum trim.

Ian T
04-21-2001, 06:52 AM
Door Panels

I think the E46 door panel looks much less fussy and more complete.

Climate Control

I don't find the E36 climate control all that effective. If I want cool air on my side of the car, I often find I need to adjust the passenger side temp. too (they seem to interfere with each other).

Seats

Although I really love the M stripe on the E36 seats, I find them just a little tacky.

Your opinion however, is exactly as valid as mine.

Ian.

Jeffrey S.
04-21-2001, 09:27 AM
I've had my e46 for a week now and never even notice the ///M in the head rest.

I looked at a 98 E36 and did not like the door panel at all.

Dual temps?? I did notice that change but who cares, It's a small car!

Anyway, the first time I drove the Demo, I didn't even see any of the interior stuff!!! Put 25 miles on it and it convinced me that there was no other car to even think of!! I bought mine before I even knew the windows went down with the remote key. There is a lot of neat stuff about this car. And look at the exterior changes to set it off from the other 3 series cars.

Bottom line, If you want a great interior, look at something else if the M3 is not to your standards. If you want a awesome driving machine, Interior should be not your top priority...

JS

photog
04-21-2001, 09:35 AM
I just wanted to show some pictures that relate to some of the words that have been flying around this board.

As you said, and I agree, it's small stuff.

And as I said, I'm staying on the list.

Jeffrey S.
04-21-2001, 09:50 AM
Sorry photog, Didnt mean anything negitave about your msg.. There are alot of changes, inside and out!

I guess my main reason for getting the car was the driving performance. Just flat out FUN to drive.. Several local police officers can add to that comment. hehe

JS

GregW in Oregon
04-21-2001, 11:57 AM

photog
04-21-2001, 01:07 PM

Mark G
04-21-2001, 02:28 PM
I find the E46 door panel in the pic to be VASTLY superior to the bland E36 door panel...everyone's entitled to their opinion, but I don't seen how you can find the E36 more elegant...it's less nice, more bland, less sporty. Look at the leather stitching on the E46...the only thing you find on the E36 is plastic...there's not even a chrome door handle. Maybe you'd be happier with a little more contrast? With a black upper and lower section on the door, it might look a little nicer...see the pic I included.

As far as the seat markings, I always found the M stripes to be tacky on the seat...I think the embossed headrest is much more elegant, although I think it could be a little bigger. To me, the seat itself looks nicer and less busy with fewer cross marks, plus it looks more comfortable, although I do like the "vader"-style headrest shape.

I also agree with Ian on the dual-zone climate control...it really doesnt make all that much difference in my experience...I can't say I'll miss it. The radio/climate control area is nicer looking...and you even have an in-dash CD player finally (although admittedly that should be a 6-disc in dash changer--no excuse for not having that).

Again, just an opinion, but I think the E46 interior is MUCH MUCH nicer, but for the most part it doesnt look good in gray...but then again, neither did the E36 interior. The simple solution is to get black, cinnamon, or imola red. You can always upgrade to wood trim.

See if you can find a pic of an E36 M3 that looks as good as this pic...

lk
04-21-2001, 04:48 PM

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index