Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

M3RACER
04-22-2001, 11:23 PM
bmw making the an M3 sedan. If you are against there beging a sedan why? would you not want to associate with an M3 just because an sedan model exist? I think a sedan model would be way better because of the versatility. I think one of the coolest things that you can see is a sedan beat a dedicated sports car. If you don't like the sedan i pretty sure the coupe will still be available, you can buy one of those. I guess i just don't understand, can someone please help me understand what would be the negative effects of a sedan.

Mr. Grinch
04-22-2001, 11:47 PM
I'd also have nothing against a Touring. Did you ever see the one-of-a-kind M5 touring? Nice!

There are some real concerns... you don't want to hurt sales of other models like M5. That's easy enough to fix... sell it for the year in between the current M5 and the new model, the year in which there is no M5.

Other things I vaguely understand. These people think there should only be X number of M3s made. They want them to be exclusive and they want it to portray some sort of image. Personally, I think the M3 is a lot of car for the money... I can do without being exclusive or the image. I already have a car that's more rare than E46 M3 (now that it's in production).

I can't imagine what it would be like to be pigeon-holed into buying a car because of what other people think or some image I'd want to portray. But the people who feel the need to be exclusive and want an image can always go buy an aston martin or something. Exclusivity for the same price as a Vette? Who are they trying to kid anyways.

Evan...
04-23-2001, 01:35 AM

StoneWalk
04-23-2001, 02:51 AM
I'm fine with a sedan, but since the bottleneck in M3 deliveries appears to be the engines, every cabrio, Z3-M, sedan and touring that they make takes away from the already sold out coupe production.

So I'll back your sedan request if you back my request for them to get the factory moving at a pace better than the 300 units a month which they are currently pushing to the US.

WantANewM3
04-23-2001, 03:28 AM
or even an X5. So, there are already plenty of choices for mom to haul the kids to soccer followed by a trail of tire smoke! But damn few choices of real sports cars. "Four doors do not a sports car make".

///M from MA
04-23-2001, 06:09 AM
coupes, then I'm against sedans. By the way, since I want the coupe, I'm also against cabs, MZ3s, and MCoupes. :-)

waiting4M3cab
04-23-2001, 08:37 AM
no need 2 b against M Roadser (aka MZ3) or MCoupes, as they r assembled in the US... M3 is assembled in germany

...don't konw if coupe and cab touch eachother in production

JP in TO
04-23-2001, 09:37 AM
am trying to decide on my next E46 because in another 6 months I will be out of warranty. The E46 is the most balanced vehicle I have ever driven, and man I love to drive it.

I have a "standard" boring 2000 323i SP in Titanium silver that looks absolutely great and is SOOOOO easy to keep clean. But it is a very, very common (!!!) configuration.

So while I love the setup, I would like my next car to be a bit different. The 330 is the preferred setup, but an M3 sedan would likely push me over.

While I really don't need a sedan, 2 things will probably keep me with it.

<b>1. Looks</b>
Personally (My opinion only) I find that the E46 chassis looks the best as a sedan. Also it is one of the best looking sedans on the road.

I really want to like the coupe setup, as that would be the configuration that I see myself in, but I don't really love it. It's nice, but the sedan is nicer (my opinion-don't flame me!)

Also, I am totally hooked on lighter colors from a ease of cleaning standpoint... and the titanium silver looks awesome on the sedan. But it is a little boring on a coupe (the cabrio pulls it off nicely though with the 2 tone) so I would not get it. White looks amazing on the coupe, but to date I don't think anyone has posted white M3 pics. The dark colors (black, orient blue--N/A yet on M3) look great on the coupe, but I am not looking for a second job.

The 330 sedan in the US comes with that great aero package, but for some reason BMW Canada has seen fit to not bring it as an option. An M3 sedan would give the more sedate body style the visual muscle that I would want.

<b>2. Practicality. </b>
Because of #1, my preference for the E46 sedan from the looks standpoint, the practicality of the 4 doors is a great bonus.
(I won't get into niggly points about the structure being marginally tighter- it's virtually inconsequential in day to day driving.)

So, I wait for hope that the M3 may come out as a sedan. Of course at this rate, it seems like it will be a long wait. So a 330 may be the way to go for the short term anyway.

- JP

Greg in AZ
04-23-2001, 10:47 AM

Greg in AZ
04-23-2001, 10:48 AM

JP in TO
04-23-2001, 11:10 AM

Greg in AZ
04-23-2001, 12:16 PM
I see a lot of 97 and 98 M3 sedans for sale here in the Phoenix area.....almost a 50/50 ration......if that means anything......I think an M3 sedan makes a lot of business sense in the US for BMW.....oh well we shall see......LOL

JP in TO
04-23-2001, 01:35 PM
you are absolutely right though. I searched Autotrader for Toronto and more than half the M3 E36's were 4 doors. Extremely popular.

I Just walked by a pair of convertibles at lunch (working beside a BMW dealer does not help) --- Silver and Carbon black M3's... both with black tops. D@mn they look good.

Greg in AZ
04-23-2001, 02:47 PM

EricM
04-23-2001, 04:11 PM
And I love it! But it will soon be out of warranty, and I can afford to trade up to a new e46 M3. So do I go from the preferred 4-door arrangement to the 2-door cuz that's all that's the only M3 to be had? Probably. It's the way I'm leaning now, simply because the e46 M3 is such a nice step up in performance, still has 4 nice seats and a trunk, and new cars are always fun. But I'll miss the 4-door whenever I'm trying to put big boxes, track tires, or anything of bulk that won't fit in the trunk in the back seat, and when I am giving a ride to older friends, colleagues, or parents and have to make them squeeze their way in and out of the back. The sedan just lends itself so much better to these sorts of practical things - and has the full performance ability of the coupe when you want to fly on the street or at the track.

I also happen to agree that the e46 sedans look better than the coupes, but this is pretty inconsequential to me. I mean, I always thought the e36 coupes looked a bit better than the sedans, but here I am with a 4-door.

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index