Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

confused
04-24-2001, 01:42 AM
My friend just recently informed me that he read some article in which the M engine is designed for long commutes and that city driving is too harsh on the engine. For example: driving to the local supermarket would not be a long enough drive for the oil to get hot and therefore strain the motor. Well, something to that affect and that starting your engine too much in routines of running errands is to harsh on this engine. What do you guys think? I find it too hard to believe that driving my car as my sole transportation in daily rountines would be detrimental to the life of the vehicle. By the way, I am not talking pizza delivery type of driving, but just going to the bank and blockbuster stuff.

jonathan f
04-24-2001, 04:04 AM
This is not just applicable to M3's but all cars to some degree. If you do a lot of short stop, start, driving then the engine oil never does what it was intended for ie lubrication. The wear and tear on the engine over considerable period will be such that it will be adversely warn in comparison to an equal mileage car used primarily for long distances.
However with synthetic oils working from the outset this difference is negligible. I would not worry about this sort of driving making much difference to the longevity of your car and just enjoy it.

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index