Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

mmmjersey
05-04-2001, 11:35 AM
Well, my local dealer has determined that my transmission hasn't failed! The driveshaft enters into the rear axle and is secured in the housing with several bolts. A few of the bolts "sheared off" probably due to improper torque from the factory or hard driving, the service manager told me. Anyway, BMW is making them take torque measurements of all the bolts to make sure the factory didn't screw up. The driveshaft could also have been bent when coming dislodged from the housing. This will be determined when the undercariage is taken apart....The service manager informed me that he has to fill out pink slips as a quality control measure because this is an unusual problem. Also, my rearview mirror is being replaced free of charge because it is missing the red led. There has been a TSB (technical service bulletin) issued for this oversight. Anyway, good luck with the cars....Oh yeah, no fix for my clanking transmission yet. At least I have documented the problem in case there are future problems.

Regards

StoneWalk
05-04-2001, 11:38 AM
Just wondering if there's a chance that driveshaft was abused by someone on a demo ride, or if the badly-torqued bolts scenario makes more sense.

Based on reports here, some folks were mighty hard on some of the demo cars...

SAF
05-04-2001, 11:45 AM
...that some M3 demos, which put the smack-down on campus security guards, were beat to hell!

That was the best review, do you remember it Stone? Man was it funny!

SAF

StoneWalk
05-04-2001, 11:52 AM

Mr. Grinch
05-04-2001, 12:55 PM
bolts. I wonder how they plan to do that.

Mr. Grinch
05-04-2001, 12:57 PM

StoneWalk
05-04-2001, 12:59 PM

mmmjersey
05-04-2001, 06:46 PM

old bones
05-04-2001, 07:21 PM

old bones
05-04-2001, 07:23 PM

Mr. Grinch
05-05-2001, 03:47 AM
of some of the bolts might not be the same as the ones that broke, and deduce it was uneven torque that broke them?

A moment of silence please, all bow in the presence of genius.

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index