Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Mike
06-30-2001, 08:51 AM

Andreas
06-30-2001, 09:23 AM
I've read reviews with faster times for the manual M3 but I've also reviews with better results for the SMG II.

BMW and M GmbH claim that both are capable to run the same times.

Both M3's have exactly the same 6 speed manual gearbox (Getrag D). But the SMG II M3 has an electronic clutch. It depends on the sequential program (S1-S6) AND the rpm how fast one shift is being executed (the higher rpm, the faster it shifts). Fastest the SMG II system can achieve is 0.08s.

For most drivers SMG II might be faster "off the line" because it avoids miss shifts and other mistakes (always a perfect launch). On the track SMG II will win like 8 out of 10 times - unless you are a highly skilled driver with a lot of experience. Actually SMG is mainly designed for track use...

The rest of the story is a matter of personal preference.

Cheers
A.

Mike
06-30-2001, 08:53 PM
Personally, If SMG is faster, I plan on getting it. WHen it comes down to saying that it will hinder the fun-to-drive factor, yes it might some, but ANY car that is as fast and good looking as the M3 can not be a bore. I am just looking for the fastest results from the godsend of a car the m3 is. Can you imagine the look of the driver in the M5 next to you when you beat him with you SMG M3. Ha. Good times, indeed.

(PS) DOES ANYBODY NOTICE HOW LITTLE DEALERS KNOW ON THE SMG? I AM TELLIN THEM MORE THAN THEY ARE ME! growl.

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index