Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

SCD in DC
07-06-2001, 12:38 PM
Here in the Washington DC area we are "blessed" :-) with a
bunch of dealers in Virginia and Maryland.

I'm looking for recommendations as to dealers for both wait list
lengths and pricing ($ above MSRP) from anyone who has
shopped this area. I've heard that Fairfax BMW is to be avoided
due to treating customers really badly. Anyone dealt with VOB
(Maryland), Passport (Maryland), Tischer (MD) Heisman
(Arlington, VA), or any of the ones in Baltimore? Other
suggestions?

Thanks for your insights!

- Steve

-Cabby
07-06-2001, 12:45 PM
I'm on the SMG list at Heisman in Arlington, good folks over there! You are right about Fairfax, don't go near it!!

Charlie R.
07-06-2001, 12:55 PM
Wouldn't go any where else. BMW of Arlington (formerly Heishman) is the major sponsor of this board primarily due to their enthusiasm and customer service.

SCD in DC
07-06-2001, 01:02 PM
Thanks for the recommendations. I'm also interested in SMG (in
a cab). Can you tell me how long the list is? Thanks!

- Steve

-Cabby
07-06-2001, 01:06 PM
Yeah, they keep separate lists for SMG and non-SMG. "Don in VA" from this board is #1 and I am #2. That was a couple months ago, so you will have to give them a call to find out. Email me privately and I'll shoot you some more details.

StoneWalk
07-06-2001, 01:19 PM
I'm baffled about having seperate SMG and non-SMG lists, when we expect that all M3's starting around Jan of 2002 will be able to have the option.

If I'm on the "non-SMG" list and I go to order my M3, what's to stop me from checking the SMG boc on the order form? When an allocation for an M3 comes in, which list does it go to? I can't see any rational way to operate two lists for cars which can be configured either way.

Now I could see that some folks might be waiting for SMG, and would be passing on 6-spd cars right now. But once SMG arrives, the only logical way to run a list system is to fold in all the SMG waiters into one large list, and now both the SMG and the non-SMG customers take cars in the order that their deposit was made. If the SMG person has the oldest deposit date, he gets the next car. If a non-SMG guy has been waiting the longest, the next car is his even if the car can be ordered with an SMG.

What does this two-list dealer say he'll do when SMG arrives as an option? Sounds like the 6-spd folks at his place are about to get screwed.

StoneWalk
07-06-2001, 01:23 PM
How about a SunRoof List? A Topaz list?

The two lists that should exist are Cabrio and Coupe, since they are given seperate allocations. You can't order a Coupe with a Cabrio allocation slot.

But SMG is supposed to be an option on all coupes. Like a Nav or a Sunroof. What sense does a list for that make?

Or does someone have evidence that BMWNA will hand out SMG allocations?

-Cabby
07-06-2001, 01:25 PM
Always the pessimist aren't you?! =) I thought the same thing when I heard about and was in a real damn hurry to get on the SMG list. I'm #2 instead of god knows what number on the other list. I wanted SMG anyway, sneaking in front of everyone else on the "non-SMG" list is icing on the cake. It's considered a different car to them as it is at many dealerships. They are good people over there at Heishman, they won't do anyone wrong, no sweat.

them ;-) -Cabby
07-06-2001, 01:26 PM

StoneWalk
07-06-2001, 01:31 PM
Dealers do get to run their lists however they want...

But as 2002 cars roll in, how do they plan to divide them up across the two lists? Flip a coin? Wait till no one wants any SMG? I'm baffled as to how you could do it and be fair.

Cabby
07-06-2001, 01:42 PM
If they consider it 2 different cars, I would think that they wouldn't offer it to the people on the other list, unless they specifically ask for it.....*shrug* I don't know, maybe Don in VA could shed some light on this, he is #1 on the list that I am #2 on.

SohJai
07-06-2001, 01:52 PM

Ray Koch
07-06-2001, 01:52 PM
There's probably only one list. They aren't different cars, no matter what the sales guy says, unless BMW NA makes them different by giving dealers x manual allocations and y SMG allocations. Since the order guide makes it pretty clear that SMG is an option I doubt this is true. So the number one guy on the SMG list is probably a much higher number on the real M3 list. They just don't tell you that.

A lot of people are putting way too much validity behind these "lists." If a person walked in the door an wanted an M3 and was willing to pay a considerable markup he'll get it, and you'll be bumped. If a big, long-time customer walked in the door and wanted an M3, you'll be bumped. I warned people of this almost two years ago and they didn't believe me. Now that they are seeing cars arrive but not going to wait list people they starting to complain.

These comments don't apply to all dealers, but sadly the vast majority. And yes, I'm familiar with this particular dealership, at least when they were still Heishman.

StoneWalk
07-06-2001, 01:54 PM

Cabby
07-06-2001, 01:54 PM
Until then, I put my faith in the good people at Heishman BMW.

SohJai
07-06-2001, 01:56 PM

StoneWalk
07-06-2001, 02:55 PM
Basically SMG looks like a Christmas present in terms of timing in the US market. And there's always the chance of some of the famous supplier delays pushing it into 1Q2002.

Ray Koch
07-06-2001, 03:04 PM
Well I wish you the best of luck. I'm eager to hear how it works out. I'm down the street at Passport. But my father taught me never, never, never trust a car salesman. He said car salesmen were just lawyers who couldn't pass the bar. Except Jon Shafter....err Shafer of course. ;-)

Brice
07-06-2001, 11:05 PM
I have dealt with Tate BMW in Annapolis on my 01 M3 and my 00 323 Ci. Got a decent deal on the 323 and sticker price on the M3. They will not gouge. They are smaller, so I am not sure what the wait list may be, but I hear from my buds that they may have a red cabriolet available immediately for sticker. I would recommend them as I have had absolutely no problems with them. Mostly young dudes running the show.

Brice

Muj
07-07-2001, 11:31 AM
I was there last week for a holiday and visted BMW of Fairfax. Can you belive the guy was so reluctant to give me a brochure of the M3 until I lied to him and mentoned that we were diplomats he photocopied the options list for me.
It was unbeliveble service expereinced I get much better service from UK dealers.

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index