Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Advice required ...
07-09-2001, 03:25 AM
Did anyone take out both of these cars and compare them before making a purchase? In Australia they are priced about the same ($US 45 - 55k). According to road reports from magazines over here the Boxster 2.7 is a little faster in the performance stakes (0-100 km/hr 6.34 sec vs. 6.64 for BMW). Any serious advice appreciated. Thanks.

JFBertrand
07-09-2001, 01:30 PM
Well, my wife purchased a BMW330i sedan with a sport package last year. I just purchased a 2002 boxter (2.7)(still waiting on delivery) and I did in fact drive both of them. The cars are totally different, the handling of the boxter is far more superior (that low moment of inertia) than the one of the 330, but on the other hand, the 330 has a lot more pick up (low end torque thing). In my opinion, they are totally different cars and I guess other then the price they do not really compare to one another.

My wife is purchasing sway bars because she is not satisfied with the sport package. Depends on what you want!!!Plus the boxter is a two seater with almost no luggage compartments. Since we have the 330 sedan, it serves as the family car (of course it's only me and her now so...). The boxter will be the fun car now :).

The 330 is geared towards torque and the boxter speed, if that makes sens.

I am not a cat freak, frankly I don't know much about cars, and what I know, I tend to forget so... If I used the wrong term, I'm sorry.

This is my 0.02.

Good luck. Either car are fabulous.

Craig
07-10-2001, 12:55 AM
I'd be willing to bet that the Boxster actually has more cu. ft. storage in their 2 trunks than the 330i's single trunk. But yes, the Boxster has only 2 seats.

Agree that the cars are totally different. One thing I noticed right away with my 01 S is that there is almost no body roll when cornering (I have 030 and now lowered with H&R sport springs). My 96 Z3 (stock) in contrast feels like it's going to tip over when cornering hard (I still love it though). I've driven a 2.8L and M Roadster and they also feel a little soft compared to the Boxster S. That's why I can understand you wife wanting to change the anti-roll bars on her 330i.

JFBertrand
07-10-2001, 08:35 AM
I wouldn't think that you could fit 2 full size golf bags in the boxster, but if you say so. I don't my p-car yet so I can't say for sure. The trunk on the 330 is huge.

From edmunds.com-
Boxster:
Maximum Luggage Capacity: 9.1 cu.ft.
330i:
Maximum Luggage Capacity: 10.7 cu.ft.

Well I started this trying to prove you wrong, but i guess you were pretty right :)

Lets look at another
From kbb.com-
Boxster:
General Specifications:
Base: W.B. 95.2"; O.L. 171.0"; Width 70.1"; Height 50.8";
Cargo Cap. 9.1 cu. ft.; Curb Weight 2778-lbs. (Manual Trans.), 2888-lbs. (Tiptronic).

330i
General Specifications:
330i: W.B. 107.3"; O.L. 176.0"; Width 68.5"; Height 55.7";
Cargo Cap. 11.0 cu. ft.; Curb Weight 3318-lbs.

Turns out pretty darn close...

Ok then later.

JF

drbob
07-10-2001, 02:23 PM
I own a '98 Boxster and have a 2002 "S" on order. I drove the 330Ci convertible (auto) just to see changes from my 328Ci I had prior to Boxster. The 2 cars are not truly comparable. The BMW has many creature comforts and is beautiful to see and be in. But driving it hard reveals it's suspension to be quite different, leaning and tending to lose the rear end when pushing it. I haven't driven the new M-3. That may be different. But, for a driving experience, I choose the Boxster everytime!

JFrench
07-10-2001, 07:18 PM
I have put one golf bag in the rear, and a pull cart can fit in the front trunk... it's very deep.

Two bags MIGHT fit in the rear if they are flexible bags. You might have to remove the clubs so the bags can lay flatter.

JFrench

JFBertrand
07-10-2001, 09:20 PM
xMart (walMart, KMart) have slim bags that will fit for sure in the back. I will buy one of these when I get my car. It's been pushed back a 3-4 weeks now. ETA is late august or september =(.

Later.

JF

Craig
07-10-2001, 10:49 PM
2 bags in her car (she's a low handicapper). I haven't tried it myself and I agree that it looks difficult. I've heard that you need small bags and that you must remove the drivers and place them in the trunk outside the bags. I think VS Dude (PPBB) also mentioned that it is possible. Maybe the 330i is better in that regard. My cousin who is a regular golfer was looking into the 330i and said that it won't hold 4 bags, so now he is looking into the 530i or 540i. Good luck.

Good thing I didn't bet you ;)

Craig
07-10-2001, 10:52 PM

JFBertrand
07-10-2001, 11:05 PM

mike325i
07-16-2001, 01:32 PM
I have a BMW325i with Sports package (same suspension as base coupe in US market) and a 2.7 Boxster (030).

The BMW is a very different drive, it is more of a luxury ride with a sporting edge, whereas the Boxster is all sport. In a cornering comparison the BMW has good limits but will oversteer and does roll. The Boxster has much higher cornering limits with no roll.
Power wise the BMW engine has more torque and for daily driving more useable power, but the top end is lacking in comparison with the Boxster, which builds power through the rev range just getting quicker and quicker.
Bottom line - If you want to take people or luggage the BMW is the choice. If it's a weekend toy for day trips, occasional commuter and you want something you can take to an autocross, get the Boxster or choose my solution which I consider the best option - get both!

(m) ARCHER
07-27-2001, 09:43 AM
just not the larger tour bags. One lays them across the rear of the trunk - two on top, two on bottom. Ive done it many times.

Im a regular on the E-46 board and thought Id stroll over and poke my head in. I love the Boxter BTW - great car.

Have a good one guys.

Craig
07-28-2001, 06:01 PM
be happy about giving up his Rodney Dangerfield (Caddyshack) bag ;)

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index