Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

robbo
07-09-2001, 04:06 AM
Hi,

I am in Australia

Disaster struck tonight.

I currently have 800km (500m) on car. It has been driving really well.

Tonight driving home from work, pulled out from a set of lights, floored it (for no reason apart from to hear the noise).

About 30 seconds later I hear a loud rattle coming from under the bonnet. The rattle modulated in time with the rpm's. I think for a moment maybe something has got caught up underneath the car, and I keep driving. After a minute the noise gets worse, I am about to pull over when suddenly everything dies, engine shut down, the "valve" warning light comes on. This is not good! I try to start the engine, it idles very roughly for 30 seconds then dies again.

I rang the BMW helpline. They had a truck there in 20 minutes to flat bed car to dealer. Unfortunately it is now late at night here, so I won't find out anymore until tomorrow.

I hope it is nothing too bad, but I have a very bad feeling about it!

By the way, I have done over 300,000km in my previous BMW's and never had a single serious mechanical problem!

I'll post the outcome and BMW's response.

Robbo

MK Boy
07-09-2001, 04:20 AM
sorry to hear you will be without her for a day or two (hopefully nothing longer)

MK Boy

StL Don
07-09-2001, 07:23 AM
I hope BMW doesn't try to bust you for the full throttle prior to full break in. I'm not sure, but would not be suprised of the computer doesn't keep track of that kind of stuff.

Keep us updated.

MK Boy
07-09-2001, 08:04 AM
for the oil service light - the computer will not register max revs or speeds and if it did, they can not complain about solitary experiences.

The run in period is a suggested process to prolong engine life - I ran in clutch and brakes and then started nailing it from the start, no problems.

MK Boy

Jim in Oregon
07-09-2001, 12:15 PM
but only if way beyond redline ( >8000, I think). The only way this could occur is with a bad shift, so BMW wasn't responsible for the blown engine.

tiggs
07-09-2001, 05:52 PM
I misshifted in my E36 M3 a while back from 3rd to 2nd and the dealer knew exactly what rpm i shifted at and what rpm i shifted to to blow my engine =)

fortunately i a had a dope service man who got me a motor under warranty =)

tiggs

tiggs
07-09-2001, 05:54 PM
Did you misshift? Your story sounds just like mine when I misshifted from 3rd to 2nd on my E36 M3 and blew my motor.

Hope everything works out

tiggs

johnW
07-09-2001, 10:01 PM
Potential of a misshift really provides a lot of enjoyment to fast driving one of these E46M3s. While shifting from 6th to 4th at road speeds over 70m/h, the driver just errors another 1/4 inch and goes into 2nd and boom goes the valve train. Cost to driver $4K-$25K depending on engine damage. Worst yet, no new M3 engine parts available, so there will be 2-months or more wait without a car.
Cost is to owner only!!! Gives another thrill to road racing, track or otherwise.

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index