Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

View Full Version : Questions about 82 911SC

Aaron_W
08-08-2001, 08:19 PM
I'm a regular on the E30 BMW board and have been a long time BMW owner, but I'm considering a 911SC for a change of pace. As I understand, the SC was quite possibly the best all-around 911 ever built. I hear that value or "bang for the buck" is best in this model.

I ran across an 82 model in my hometown the other day. A reputible dealer has the car (same dealer that sold me my current bimmer). He is a small dealer, but sells in the area of 10 to 12 911's per year. He has a SC as a personal car and seems to know his way around on them. Well, I took a test drive and these are the facts:

-1982 911SC 70K $19,000
-Black/black
-brand new Momo steering wheel
-original Fuch wheels in very good cond.
-clean unripped interior, but not pristine
-all gadgets are in good working order (including a/c)
-clutch has a minor pulsating feel when starting from a dead stop
-brakes are nothing short of phenominal
-engine felt very capable and did not stutter a bit
-body panels are straight and true, but paint needs a very deep buffing (Fl. car)

After a mildly spirited drive for about 10 minutes, I parked the car and got out to look at it and listen. There was the normal hot brake smell, but what bothered me was the engine idle of 1,100 RPM. Is this normal? Am I looking at a major gasket replacement job? Since the car has only 70K, it still has a very tight feel. No rattles in the doors or chassis while driving. Handling was crisp and predictable, not to mention 1000X better than my 325is.

I have the phone number and email address of the one and only mechanic to work on this car, he is from Pensicola, Fl. The dealer openly admits that he has had better looking 911's on the lot, but none as mechanically sound as this one (a sales pitch?).

Does this car sound like winner? Is there anything I should know before taking the plunge? Any help would be appreciated.

Aaron

Aaron_W
08-08-2001, 08:26 PM
Just in case anyone cares to look it up.

Aaron

Dave
08-09-2001, 08:29 AM
I have an 81 SC and love it, so I would probably agree about most of the common observations regarding an SC. My car idles around 950, so 1,100 does sound too high. (perhaps a simple adjustment may do the trick). I would check to see that the cam chain tensioner has been upgraded (to a 1984 style carrera oil fed tensioner) This is a 1,000 plus or minus upgrade that solves the potential problem of chain tensioner failure (fairly common on pre-84 911's. If the tensioner fails, the cam chain "drops" and there goes the top half of the engine pluse 4-7,000 bucks. BUT according to info I've read on the 3.0 engine, if it has been maintained it is good for 250 to 350,000 miles before it wears out! I've read that a couple of owners have exceeded 400K miles on their 3.0's before any engine work is required. Before I bought my 911 I searched nationwide on prices and details I found a price range of about 8,000 to 23,000 for 1978 to 1983 911SC's so it seems like your in the ball park with 19,000. I would check everything on the car before I buy though... Try every switch, light, wipers, horn, check the brakes, tranny, heater, etc...

Hope this helps,
Dave

JPF
08-09-2001, 12:46 PM
It's a '79, but I think you might like to see it...

Aaron_W
08-09-2001, 08:16 PM
Ok, you win...that's the nicest SC I've ever had my eyes on, period. I'd march up this weekend and buy it, but I would need to sell the bimmer first etc etc. Nice thing about buying from a dealer is being able to do the trade thing. I'm going to put your website on file and keep it handy in the event that I would have a quick buyer on the bimmer. Thanks for taking the time to post. I'm interested, but not enough to waste your time or mine at the moment. It was a pleasure to see this beauty, can't understand why or how you could part with it.

Aaron

Glenn Wade
09-03-2001, 09:25 PM
These cars had some serious problems with broken head studs. I just had mine replaced and the price for the job will make you sick...So I would feel more comfortable buying this car knowing that the studs were replaced. Especially if this car has been around the salt air for a couple of decades. Mileage has nothing to do with it either...I had to replace the studs on my 79'SC after 69K miles...Make sure that there is NO rust anywhere under the car. ANd no matter what, dont buy this car if it has any oil leaks in critical areas...

Glenn

Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index