Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Paul Gatto
09-06-2001, 09:50 PM
Does anyone know of any publications on rear engine car driving? I am
also opened to any tips on driving one that anyone can give me.

adam nitti
09-17-2001, 10:58 PM
Check out the Vic Elford book : Porsche 911 high performance
driving. A great read that is 911 specific.

///motor///mouth
09-23-2001, 07:08 PM

jbh
09-28-2001, 06:36 PM
A novice 911 driver should always brake before going into a turn. Give your self time to settle the car and throttle before turning in. Get your radius established (assuming a constant radius turn) and hold the steering wheel and throttle constant. As you are coming out of the turn, get right on the throttle - you should be accelerating as you exit. Do this too early and your rear end will break loose; too late and you've lost time.

If you lift throttle or break during a turn where your car is at or near the frictional limit, it transfers weight to the front (away from the rear) and the rear end will loose its grip. That's the physics of oversteer - once that happens there is little you can do except try to keep your spin in a tight circle.

Because of the weight bias, the 911 has great rear grip. You need to learn how to use that grip in your driving and avoid sudden actions that produce a weight shift and a loss of that grip.

I highly recommend you join your local PCA club or Porsche Owners Club to get into their Drivers Ed programs. It is money well spent and it may save your car and you serious damage.

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index