Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Jerry K.
09-10-2001, 10:38 PM
Motor starts immediately when it's cold. After a drive and when it gets warmed up and I stop, it does not restart untill it totally cools down. Starter spins the motor, but the tach does not move. Occasianally, (but not always), I floor the gas pedal when trying to start, and sometimes it works. Any help would be greatly appriciated( everytime it happens to my wife, she gets P.O.'d and tells me we should sell it...I can't let this happen.

Hambone
09-13-2001, 02:28 PM
Jerry,

I have that same engine and have had similar problems. If the engine is still rich after it warms up, this could cause it to be difficult in starting. This could also explain why it cranks easily when cold; when richer is better.

The warm-up regulator may be the culprit. When you open the engine lid, this will on your left, next to the middle cylinder. This thing drops the fuel pressure going to the fuel distributor, thereby enrichening the fuel-air mixture when the engine is cold. As it warms up, the warm up regulator raises the pressure and leans the mixture. You can replace this for about $250 as I recall, or you can modify it to make it adjustable; "tuneable" if you will.

Another potential culprit is the cold start valve. This thing sits on the back side of the airbox and totally obscured from the normal view of the engine. You will need to get a folding mirror tool to see this thing and have arms like a monkey to reach it. This thing basically squirts raw fuel into the airbox when the engine is cold; it "primes" the engine. If this thing is malfunctioning and still primes the engine even when it's hot, then you will experience difficulty in starting. You may want to disconnect the electrical connection when it warms up to see if it is malfunctioning.

These cars are also prone to destroy or blow-up (read backfire through the intake) the airbox and that will also lead to starting difficulties. The airbox pop valve will prevent this. You damn sure better install one if you don't already have it.

I understand fully the issue of the lamenting (read bitching) wife who complains about the Porsche. I think it must be some kind of Karma that Porsche owners must endure this abuse. I also catch it for my Bimmers, motorcycles, guns yada, yada, yada. Of course I can't complain about her 13 dogs, 12 birds, rabbits, plants out the wazzo....THAT's TOTALLY DIFFERENT!!!!! Sorry, I'm beginning to froth a little.

Hope this is useful.

Hambone

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index